add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First rig since my GeForce 6800 :0

Gator559

39 months ago

Thoughts on rig for longevity and overall component choice. Games I'll likely play: Tomb Raider COD Witcher Drift Half life 3 ;) Doom Vr capabilities?? And what screen res would this be best for this setup?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Total: $919

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man, I liked your part list, if I may make a few changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price Jet Coupon Code
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $215.00 @ Jet Shop15
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $114.74 @ Jet Triple15
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $63.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.49 @ Jet Triple15
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card $375.66 @ Jet Triple15
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1003.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-20 20:11 EDT-0400

CPU

Alright, so for the cpu, I kept with the 6600k, excellent mid-range cpu for gaming, and when you put a modest-medium overclock on it, you can get really good performance, pretty close to a stock i7, check [this](https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/52kuis/compilation_of_information_on_i3_vs_i5_vs_i7/) thread if you are interested in how the 6600k stacks up (the 1070 is around 980Ti performance.) Paired with the excellent Cryorig H7, and you should get some nice overclocks if you decide to go down that path. You can see the performance of the [H7](https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/6.html) here, which is great for the price (it also looks pretty nice IMO.)

Motherboard

I switched up the motherboard here as well - I went for the Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 3. The one you had works fine, but I do really like the Z170 Gaming 3, you get a really nice sound design, with the latest Realtek chipset, and a decent Texas Insturments Amp, which is good if you have some higher impedance headphones (I haven't done tons of research into the actual mw output, but it is still decent nonetheless.) You also get tons of ports on this board, USB 3.1 if you want, plenty of USB headers, lots of storage options, and M.2 connectors.

RAM

As for RAM, I just went with a pretty cheap set of 16GB. Should be fine, these don't have the highest frequency clock, but the money you save can be put towards other things that will give more meaningful performance gains.

Storage

As for storage, I went with the Samsung 750 EVO. Very similar to the 850 EVO, but uses different and less advanced memory chips. Still, it is no slouch, and for it's price, leads the pack, with a nice warranty. (It is only half of the 850 EVO, but 75 TBW is still a lot, and Samsung tends to be very safe when they rate their NAND endurance)

GPU

I put most of the money I saved into the GPU. 1070 is a beast, great for really high FPS 1080p, and 1440p, everything maxed, and would be great for DOOM in VR, and the Witcher 3 in 1440p, and almost certainly for HF3 as well :). The model I went with doesn't have the "WOW"-est cooler, but hey it should do just fine. Nvidia's Pascal is so efficient, even the crap reference cooler still cools the card adaqeutaly. What you gain from a model like the one I went with is cooler and quieter operation, which can help in maintaining more stable GPU frequency. However, all 1070s tend to OC the same, the FE reference card has been shown to actually OC higher, even with its basic cooler.

Case/PSU

As for the case, I just went with something nice and simple. This is totally personal preference, but I think the Phanteks cases look very nice, and bring nice features for the price. Paired with a nice, high quality Corsair CXM for plenty of power for this system. This is a great PSU for the money, you can see a review of it's European sibling, notable changes on the CXM are a single rail design, and no guarantee on full Japanese capacitors, which do bring down the price, but shouldn't really degrade performance.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube