add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Custom Build - Titan X + +Z170a + i7 - Would Love to Discuss & Get Constructive Feedback

GrayGeist

38 months ago

Hello! I've updated my build and reposted quite a few times based on feedback and added my #1 goal below

I've been ghosting the forums for a while now and I've about finished my build. After noticing it'll save me about $900 to build my own with better parts versus FalconNorthwest (who are a great company but come on, it's $900) I've decided to build. Would love feedback based on my goals below as well as any weaknesses you may see in the build.

(1) Longetivity, Longetivity, Longetivity, this is #1 for a reason - I want a TitanXP because I want to run MOST games at at least high quality for the next 3-4 years. I have managed to do this with SLI 670's since 2011.

(2) Reduce bottlenecks at every point, pure gaming PC

(3) Moderate overclocking, nothing crazy (4) No need for 4K Gaming potential (yet), definitely want it VR-Ready

(4) Have it be moderately quiet but it's not a big deal

(5) Matte black type of case

(6) Massive amount of storage not necessary (or is it?) I don't keep loads of games on PC at once. Intention to play games on SSD, store others on HDD.

(7) Intention to add another Titan X later on down the line IF it becomes necessary, or wait for VOLTA

(8) External soundcard is a possiblity due to being a low key audiophile, I use high quality headphones so I'm not sure if its necessary

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $142.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $86.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $184.99 @ B&H
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.00 @ B&H
Video Card NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card $1250.00
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5 ATX Mid Tower Case $174.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.88 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan $12.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer Predator X34 34.0" 100Hz Monitor $1248.99 @ Amazon
Other Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Integrated Beam Forming Microphone $66.89 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3917.24
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $3867.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-30 09:17 EDT-0400

Thanks!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

titan x is a little over kill for that moniter you could go for a new gtx 1080 but if you think you will upgrade to 4k than that build if good. the 250gb will run out quickly i suggest picking up a WD 1tb hdd for around $40

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I know it's a bit overkill but I can afford it & want it to be a bit overkill =)

& I do totally agree with you. I have a friend who's helping me out and he agrees with you - I should have added the extra 1TB WD drive in there to show the dual-usage I am going to use between them. I have added it now.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

first. thats the old titan x...you could get a titan xp for 1200...otherwise i believe the 400$ gtx 1070 beats the titan x. you could sli them...get a 1080. or 200$ more for the titan xp.

i have the same cpu and a 1070 for my 27inch pred. ..but want a x34 T.T

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, I thought the "old" Titan is called simply "Titan" and the new pascal architecture is called the "Titan X" - I searched Titan XP on here and found nothing on it...am I really choosing the older architecture one?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yes. titan xp is on here. when you browse cards its on the gpu list all the way at the bottom labeled like titan x (pascal)

its only sold through nvidia

edit: only place i know where to buy from http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/titan-x-pascal

There was titan, titan x, and now titan x (pascal) dont ask ._.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhhh found it, I think. I updated the parts list to show that update. I estimated $1200. There was no price pulling at all.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yea. its only available from their site. and its fixed at 1200$ then whatever taxes. glad that got sorted out. id be pissed if i ordered something and found out it was old and a cheaper new product was better lol

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'd be livid! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm getting a good amount of feedback on Reddit too about the build. I'll probably update soon!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You could add another Titan in the future, but the 6700K would bottleneck your system..not that that's a problem cause you'd be swimming in frames anyway... ;)

My one real bug-bear is the rest of the build looks a bit cheap in the company of the Titan. There isn't an actual issue with that but it just seems a bit wrong; you typically see Titan rigs north of $4500, yours is $2300 without the X34.

More RAM wouldn't hurt, but if you're only gaming then it's not necessary.

I'd do some research on the EVGA PSU; I've heard horror stories about some models (can't remember which) but some are golden. As a safe bet; any Seasonic-made PSU will be solid as a rock for as long as you want. You're also gonna want more power than that for two Titans, but that's something you could do there and then if you'd prefer.

Another thing; do you have a specific use for the DVD drive or is it just something you thought you needed?

The case is you-thing. Not my cup of tea, but if you like that's all that matters. :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Tpgeee. thanks for the awesome response.

Yeah I definitely think I'd either add another Titan in the future, which would require more power OR I'll probably be okay until the VOLTA architecture is released and replace my single Titan with a Volta, whatever type.

And yeah ya know, I can see you're sort of a perfectionist like myself in many ways but here I can't afford to be a perfectionist - or maybe I should say, I can afford it but I want to "spend smart". I know building computers isn't rocket science but I'm inherently a very timely person that would have rather paid Falcon NorthWest to build for me but comparing the pieces, I can save over $900 and get much better parts on my own and I can't ignore that.

Just curious - what parts would you suggest? Key Note here: Part thats are truly power-value added.

I'll definitely look into the EVGA and the DVD Drive is just for the ability to put "CDs" in, sometimes I buy hard copies of games or get deals.

And yeah, the case is a very flexible piece for me, what options do you suggest? I'm very open to opinions.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The Titan has never been billed as a true gaming card (despite the fact it falls within the Geforce GTX lineup) and as such it's more common to see it being used in prosumer Gaming, Editing and Graphic Design stations. These should, and most do, utilise the more extreme 12, 16, and 20-thread Intel Core processors, which obviously hikes the price up significantly. The fact that you only want this for gaming means that you will be more than fine (better off even) with an i7 6700K than nearly any other Intel Core CPU, so in you may actually be a genius. :)

Something can always be more powerful. If it were me though; I'd invest a little more for a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD as your main boot drive. The speeds are simply incredible. That being said; I run a 850 Evo 250GB in my own rig and it's still black-to-booted in about 10 seconds anyway...your choice. I've added a parametric selection to your part-list of these two so they're easy to find.

Purely for a convenience stand-point I'd go with 2TB of HDD space, but that depends on how many games you store on your PC at a time. Again, selection.

I've included some options for the RAM. I just thought it odd you having Red RAM with an almost entirely Black build, feel free to ignore the choices if you wish. Corsair Dominator RAM is kind of the mack-daddy of all RAM if you care about that sort of thing.

It's also nice to see there's someone else out there who values having a physical copy of a game too! Man I miss those days where you didn't have a choice, and I'm not even that old.

The case. This is something I can only suggest a spec for, it really is so subjective (it's like asking someone to choose you a wife). For a spec though; it depends if you ever want to take the plunge into custom water cooling. As you've said you're not overly interested in overclocking I'm going to assume you aren't, but some cases have much more features for water-cooling builds than others.

Whilst we're talking about cooling; fans, you're gonna want a fair few if you want to keep everything cool. A phrase I've heard thrown around a few times here is; "Corsair where you see them, Noctua where you don't" which isn't a bad rule. The choice is dependent really on which you like the look of, if you want a windowed case, etc. etc.

Which brings us back to case. I've thrown in some options in a selection for you of what I'd go for. There's a couple of Mid Towers and a couple of Full Towers there too, that's all dependent on which will work best in your space.

Finally; monitor. Over here in Britain the PG348Q is a full £200 cheaper for the same feature-set and there have been QC issues with the X34. The saving is quite so great for you guys, but it's food for thought.

Hope this helps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $104.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $150.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $62.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $93.88 @ OutletPC
Storage *Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.00 @ B&H
Video Card NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card $1200.00
Case *Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $186.00 @ Directron
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.88 @ OutletPC
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $150.99 @ Newegg
Monitor *Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34.0" 100Hz Monitor $1228.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3775.57
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $3765.57
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-27 05:17 EDT-0400

The little * next to certain items indicates a list. Best to open it up fully to see it better.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, I can't say how much I appreciate your detailed and organized reponse. It's people like you and the other commenters that make me glad that I reached out to the community.

That is something I have heard about the Titan, both in that it falls out of the "Gaming Card" line and that it's use with an i7 would be significantly advantegeous. To me, I don't mind spending the extra money to ensure I have longetivity enough to last me well into the Volta architecture. It's not about pointing to my PC and saying "I have a Titan, look at me!" (insert Mr. Meeseeks quote) - it's about me having the power to have limitless potential beyond even that of a 1080. I don't know what the exact numbers are but they say a Titan is about 2x as much as a 1080 but only 1.4-1.5x more powerful and to me, as a corporate analyst, that screams diminishing returns but that's okay, I'm willing to pay for that to have one reliable, solid card. If I went any other way it'd be 1080 SLI, and well SLI just isn't reliable.

Regarding the SSD, this is exactly why I reached out to the community. I've done my researchb but I am by no means a pro and this will be the first build I ever build myself. I had not known I had the 950Pro option and will most likely go with that. With that said though, I did some research and some are saying the 950Pro is a very good product but for PURE gaming the 850 Pro 512gb may be the better choice? I'm not sure, this article shows that the 950 seems much better in most obvious ways: http://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-samsung-nvme-950-pro-vs-850-series/ - What do you think?

I will definitely check out the final pricing on my build and see if I can squeeze in the 2TB instead. I don't store many games on my PC at once, but then again - this build will be something I want to last and 2TB plays into that game plan of longetivity.

As for the RAM color, I do care about the color but if the difference between 3000 and 2400 on the RAM I have now versus the Corsair Dominator doesn't lead to any significant change, then I don't want to necessarily spend the extra $40-50. Again I'm not looking to point this thing and say "I got this and that," because no one would care to understand anyways, but I do personally want "the best" so in the end I may go with dominator just for that 1% bump.

And I mean come on! Do you remember when you'd buy a game and actually get an awesome manual with all of the NPCs (enemies) listed and such, with real artwork in it!? They were awesome! I bet we're both no that old, all it takes is being over 25 to remember that. Granted, you'd have to have been playing games at a young age, but I was.

As for the case, I have a couple of ideas:

1. https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-S340-Tower-Case-Razer/dp/B015401L80/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474899915&sr=1-20&keywords=mid+tower+case

2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013AY4V4S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IPW9GR5CYVSE&coliid=I3CEVNA069O9X3&psc=1

Both are pretty damn awesome looking and mid sized. Which leads me into cooling fans. How many extras am I going to want to buy? Don't the cases come with them? Am I going to want to replace them per say?

As for the monitor, wow - I thought I had chosen that monitor earlier and recognized it had a slow refresh rate. But it appears the difference is 5mhz on the PG348Q and 4mhz on the X34. Hmm...makes it difficult especially with the QC issues which I have also heard about.

That all totally did help! I love talking about making this build the most efficient as possible!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The S340 is a wonderful thing. It's got some neat little cable management routes that can really clean up a build. The MasterCase is taking my fancy the more I look at it and also has some good features too. If you looked at the pair of them in terms of cooling; they're nigh-on identical, with the MasterCase edging out the S340 by an extra 140mm fan slot.

Fans; the S340 comes with two, so does the MasterCase - the included fans aren't always the best offerings, but they suffice. I would have a fair few fans for a Titan X(P), and configured to give negative pressure (i.e. more exhausting than supplying, but not by much) as the reference cooler design is a blower fan as opposed to an intake.

The monitor is as much subjective as it is objective - your looking at the thing the whole time so you want it to be the best out there - but the differences are minuscule when you're talking about those two. Also; you simply aren't going to get anything less than 5ms on an IPS panel, they just can't do it. A TN panel can, but you don't get the same fidelity and colour reproduction as an IPS.

The speeds on a 950 Pro will help with everything, not just gaming. The average read and writes are about 3-times what my 850 Evo is capable of. If you've got the budget and the desire left over, go for it. But if not; the 850 Pro or even the Evo will do you proud.

With a smile! and I'm even younger than that! It was an actual event getting a new game, now it's just a couple of keyboard clicks away, the fun's just gone. But oh well, I'll stop now before I get too gushy.

All that's left now is to decide on the case and monitor and build this thing... oh and make sure you post a Completed Build on here when you do!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So I've decided to go with the MasterCase Maker, the top of the line build from them. I just feel it's right for me. Like a Stealth-Bomber, something you can see pictures of but when you see it in real life you're kind of mind blown.

I've also researched and it seems the X34 is actually the better choice. Now, regardless and unfortunately with either one I feel it's a coin flip on whether or not I get a defective unit, but that is the joy of technology. The only problem is the X34 version (Pre-January 2016 I guess?) has no swivel to it and they released a newer version, the X34A (Post-January 2016) that has swivel to it but no legit websites list it as such, they all say X34, which leads me to HOPE that the X34A version has pushed out the older versions now. We shall see.

I have definitely gone with the 950 Pro, I agree with you. Why hold back now ya know?

And wow, younger than that and you remember! You must have had some good influences from family then!

I will update the list above with the newest parts list and post in the Completed Build when I'm done! Thanks for the fantastic discussion.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND, of course 24 hours before I'm about to say "Green, Go!" On my build, 1080ti information leaks for Q1 2017 and speeds that are almost the same as Titan Pascal. I quit.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What I would do for now is get a GTX 1070 or 1080, and then if you're really intent on getting Titan X Pascal performance get a GTX 1080Ti when it comes out in January or February (these are still rumors but they seem pretty accurate, as February will be 8 months after GTX 1080 release (following same 8-month after 980 the 980Ti came out).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

AuraNightheart - thanks for the reply. Now you got me thinking and I'm seriously considering it but there's the obvious problem: money.

Now, as you can guess with the Titan X as my selection, I don't mind spending the money for over performance and attaining diminishing returns but the idea behind my purchase of a 1080Ti is saving money. If I were to purchase a regular 1080 at $699 ($750 w taxes probably) and enjoy it let's say PAST February, when the 1080Ti is released, even if the 1080Ti drops price to $600 (which it won't, it'll be $800) I'm looking at spending $1350 - $1550 and going through a ton of trouble when I could have just bought the Titan X Pascal out the gate and saved myself the trouble AND attained a little bit more speed. So I guess stating that all out reassures me, it's either Titan X Pascal (which still beats the 1080Ti on paper) or waiting until 1080Ti , but damn you're right - I don't want to wait.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It's definitely your choice and if spending the money for the Titan X Pascal isn't an issue, you should go for it! When the 1080Ti comes out it'll have about equal performance but you're right, you'd probably end up spending more money overall.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube