add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

looking for an upgrade

amo26

38 months ago

Hello. I've had my current build for a few years now and I've been please with how it runs, however I'm now looking for an upgrade on it now that a bunch of fun new parts have been release. Ideally I don't want to be buying all the parts again as I mainly want a change in CPU, GPU and Ram. Here is my current parts list. CPU

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor £156.87

CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.00

Motherboard

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £111.00

Memory

Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £57.98

Storage

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £43.84

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £44.00

Video Card

MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card £245.00

Optical Drive

Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer £14.08

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 8 OEM 64-bit £72.00

Custom

Cooler Mas​ter n400 £40.00

Corsair 60​0w GS £65.00

Additions to these parts are an additional SSD at 128gb and windows 10 of course.

Like I said previously I don't want to have to completely repurchase a PC, I'm mainly looking for an upgrade on the CPU, RAM and GPU for performance in games but also digital media software to help with future work. I may also like a case with a window on as I may rearrange my work space so I can actually see the damn thing! So what parts would you recommend? I have little knowledge compared to when I first build this PC so I'm curious to see how much of an improvement I can make.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think you'd see a dramatic improvement with a new CPU. Pick up a new GPU and you'll be set.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

per this benchmark link you won't see much at all from the CPU to a new one. Says 12% better approximately. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K/3503vs1538

You have 2 ram slots used out of 4 on the Motherboard. You could just buy more of the same type of ram and add it in the 2 empty slots. But going from 8 to 16gb ram you won't notice much at all really.

The GPU is where you will see the difference and what you should upgrade. Perhaps to a gtx 1060 for about a 62% improvement. Or a 1070 for ~130%.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought there wouldn't be too much of a difference in the CPU comparing to other i5's. What about i7's though? I understand that the motherboard will have to be changed but that could open up access the DDR 4 ram. Good point about the ram, however I was looking at DDR 4, just that the motherboard will have to be changed. That increase in the gpu is a great eye opener, definitely worth looking into, thanks.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends what you use the PC for. Strictly speaking the I7 will benchmark better than the I5, but you won't see that performance reflected in games since almost all of them only use a single core. So you need to look at game benchmarks for the 2 cpu's. Here is just one game example (game is watch dogs at 1080p):

CPU/Score/FPS

Intel Core i7-6700K @ Stock 103.79 100.00 %

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.5GHz 104.63 100.81 %

Intel Core i5-6600K @ Stock 102.49 98.75 %

Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.5GHz 105.81 101.95 %

You can see that there is barely any difference in FPS CPU vs CPU. Sure there are 1 or 2 games out there that do use the CPU more, but in reality today's games and even the near future ones won't benefit from the I7 really. I'd really say just keep your cpu/ram, and grab a new GPU. then look at future generations later (kaby lake or cannon lake) which will have thunderbolt support and optane support and other improvements.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Seems I've hit a wall with the build then once the GPU is upgraded! Would there be a better improvement when it comes to digital media and the likes rather than gaming between the current CPU and a different one? Also wondering if there are any clean looking cases going as mine isn't great for cable management.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the I7 should be better for video encoding etc. Kaby lake which should be out around January or so is also supposed to have native 4k video support etc. for encoding. Not sure how much better it will be but might be a consideration if that is your focus for the upgrade.

Here is a good article comparing the 2 cpus. In everyday use they are mostly the same, but when you get to the h.264 encoding etc, the I7 is better. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-7.html

there are a lot of cases. the thermaltake a71 looked pretty good and i've been eyeing it myself for my next build.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes a very clear victory for the i7 as expected. Food for thought, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube