add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

600W PSU powerful enough to run this PC?

Unique
  • 42 months ago

Hello, I built this PC about a year ago now, and have upgraded it over time, I have now updated the below listing to the current specs: Parts Listing

As you can see, I'm running a GTX 960 and a Corsair CX 600W which is keeping the PC is running great, however I am wanting to upgrade it something much more powerful - a GTX 1070. But before I do make this upgrade, I am wanting to ensure that my PSU can handle the graphics card, as well as all the other components.

Currently, there are no components that are being overclocked but I am planning to finally start overclocking once I upgrade my GPU. But I am worried that the PSU will not be able to handle it, so I'll have to upgrade that as well - a really nice PSU, which I recommend for people building their Gaming PC's (especially your first, which this PC was my first build).

What do you think? Will the PSU be able to 'comfortably' power the PC if I was to upgrade to a GTX 1070 instead of a GTX 960? And from experience, how much overclocking power could I squeeze out of the PSU till it becomes unstable (just an estimate is what I'm looking for), and would it really be worth overclocking it.

I can see from the listing that PCPartPicker cannot find any compatibility issues, but I'm just double checking (no harm, right?)

Cheers, Sutton

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

You would be very lucky to draw more than 350 watts under full load.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

the psu can handle a gtx1070 with that system no problem. Its not the best psu on the market and already more then 3 years old but should allow to overclock your system to.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind, that if held to the same standards that "nice" PSU's are held to when determining their label power ratings, the CX600 is really only a ~450W PSU.

So the question you should be asking, is whether a 450W PSU is enough for your intentions.

As it happens, yes, a 450W PSU will be plenty for a GTX1070 + overclocked i7-4790K with the usual assortment of other guts.

• 42 months ago
  • 4 points

All PSUs are rated according to the combined wattage on all rails - so a Corsair CX600 is a... 600W PSU.

If you want to look at the +12V rail rating, which is the most important, then for the CX600 it's 552W.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Modern computers draw almost all of their power from the 12V rail, so that's really the only rating that counts. The 12V rail on modern high quality PSU's is typically rated very near the same as the entire PSU anyway, (the 5V and 3.3V rails are actually derived from the 12V rail, so this makes sense). High end PSU's are rated for continuous operation at 50C. The CX600 is rated for continuous operation at 30C. The industry standard de-rating formula to convert a 30C rated PSU to a 50C rated PSU is 0.8X.

552W X 0.8 =

If you want to treat the CX600 as a 600W PSU, that's fine, but without providing provisions to ensure reduced operating temps, it won't be a long lived PSU at that power level. The CX600, when held to the same standard as "high end" PSU's, is a 450W PSU. Treat it as a 450W PSU and it will work great for a long time.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube