add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£800 (ish) Gaming Build - Help Needed To Iron Out Details!

Constantos

38 months ago

Hi all,

Now the new graphics cards are out I am looking at my build.

When I was looking before, various people commented that I was putting too much money into things like motherboard and case so I am trying to lower the prices of the ones I was previously looking at so I can get a reasonable build.

I am looking to use it for Gaming / CAD / Digital Art so would prefer to stick to 16gb ram to future proof me. I am looking at the i5 6500 and the graphics card is just there as a place holder more than anything else. I am not bothered by getting an RX 480 or a gtx 1060 but I dislike the idea of the 3gb 1060 because it seems to lack any kind of future proofing at all.

I would love to either drop the price or get more for my money and if people could give alternatives and some reasons then I can tweak things.

Thanks guys.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £174.00 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £59.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £79.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £44.93 @ BT Shop
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.95 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card £246.66 @ More Computers
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case £64.99 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £79.99 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit £84.35 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £877.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-24 19:11 BST+0100

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

For an I5, get a B150 MOBO for the extra features. Either MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte.

You could shave cost off the PSU. You don't need the 650 watts unless you wish to overclock (which you can't without a k processor, Z170 board, and CPU cooler), upgrade to SLI, have a much more demanding Graphics Card, or many, many accessories. 500-550 watts should work I believe.

But yeah, you're pretty much set. Nice build. Nice 1060 with i5 6500.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think upgrading to a low end z170 would be better then? At least then if I upgrade to a k series it gives me wiggle room on overclocking even just at minor levels.

Is the 1060 6gb the way to go or get an 8gb rx 480? I have been reading some comments that say that its better to gt an rx 480.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. You could for the upgradability. Just get a CPU cooler before you upgrade. H110 are more suited for pentiums/i3s/budget builds. For an i5, go either B150, or Z170. Not a fan of the "in-betweens," but that's just my opinion.

2. If you, for some odd reason, need 8 GB VRAM, go RX 480. Otherwise, the 1060 runs at just a bit faster for the same price(s), plus, you get some extra features. 6 GB or VRAM should really be fine. Even 3 GB is fine. VRAM is primarily used for storing textures and the like.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Apparently the rx480 supports DX12 whereas the 1060 doesn't. I have the RX480. I have no idea if I need DX12 support, but if I do, have it; if I didn't have it, I wouldn't have it.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I believe, upon further research, that the 1060 does in fact support DX12. However, the RX 480 seemingly preforms better than the 1060 with DX12 in some games. With DX11 and the majority of games, the 1060 edges out the RX 480. With DX12, their scores are very similar. Also, DX12 is both for the CPU and GPU by "spreading work loads" among the various cores.

No, you don't need DX12 support, but it is said to improve performance in the games it does support.

This video by BitWit seems to accurately sum up the results I've seen around the web.

The Verdict: I'd go with the 1060 nonetheless due to its larger support and just a few frames more than the RX480 generally, although the outcome is game specific. the 1060 also comes with additional features such as shadowplay.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info guys. I think the best thing for me to do is aim for the gtx 1060 but if an amazing deal comes along for the rx 480 and me looking up a few games i play/plan on playing goes okay then getting either is ok.

Still I do like some of the 1060's though. Should I be buying a graphics card with freesync or g-sync in mind? I will have to upgrade my monitor within a year but I dont know if its worth buying a graphics card just based on the freesync or g-sync capabilities. Theres a lot of conflicting views so far from sites and reviews.

As for the motherboards, I will look up some of the B150's. I havent done much research on those ones so its a good idea to keep up with things!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 2 points

you can shave a couple of quid off here and there like get 2133 ram and like Box says the 550 G2 psu and maybe look again at the case. one suggestion i would make though not all will agree is go with a 250Gb SSD and get a HDD later when you have saved a bit more 250Gb is manageable and you can live with it for a few months.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Nice idea about the hard drive. I have a 1tb external HDD thats just over half full that I can use if I need to shave some of the cost off then get an internal one later as you said.

It is something to think about!

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

oh and the reason for the Ram switch is that the lower end mobos only support 2133 ram speed :-)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I noticed that too. :-)

I wanted to get something over 2133 ram for future builds rather than having the lowest end speeds from the start. As I am starting from scratch I am hoping to get some components that may save me in future upgrades or rebuilds and DDR4 should be around for a while so dont want to get anything too poor.

It still somewhere I can shave a few pounds off if needed though!

Would it be better to try to afford a better motherboard as the better ram may help the build? I am wondering if a lower end z170 would be a better option. While it would be a cheaper one of the z170 line it still offers some nice options on some of them.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I see were your coming from and i have been there myself just be careful not to go to cheap on the mobo, a general observation i have is that a good PC with decent components should last you 5 years ish with a graphics change halfway through the cycle so near the end of life a good overclock may just give it the boost it needs to get that last year if you decide to go that route :-)

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's my alt with a z mobo for use of teh faster ram, changed ssd & psu too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £174.00 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £85.99 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £78.17 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £63.04 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card £246.66 @ More Computers
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case £64.99 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £69.39 @ CCL Computers
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit £84.35 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £866.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 17:19 BST+0100
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the list!

Are seasonic psu's better than the ones I originally had listed then?

Is the crucial MX300 SSD worth getting compaired to the samsung 750 or 850 or does it come down to price being worth the tradeoff?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really better per se but they are one of the top psu brands/manufacturers and out of the 450w gold units I thought theirs was the best quality/price.

Yeah similar situation with the ssd, I thought that was a good price/capacity ratio, real world performance (not synthetic benchmarks) among recent gen sata3 ssds is generally close enough not to worry about, see this mx300 750gig review for tables - http://techreport.com/review/30267/crucial-mx300-ssd-reviewed/5

edit. not had the experience myself (not a gamer even tbh) but apparently freesync/gsync is one of those once you see it you won't wanna go back kinda deals, shame gsync monitors are still crazy expensive tho...

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying!

As I asked Box, do you think me upgrading to a low end z170 would be better? If i did upgrade to a k series it gives me wiggle room on overclocking even just at minor levels.

I think getting a 240gb is the very minimum I should get judging by the comments. I think I should see what I can do as dropping a storage drive in later isnt hard as long as my case has space.

Is the 1060 6gb the way to go or get an 8gb rx 480? I have been reading some comments that say that its better to gt an rx 480.

The case wasnt set in stone, I was just looking for something that had good airflow and options for me to upgrade the cooling options in future.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice! Thanks for the information. I have bookmarked the motherboard list and the tutorial video and will go through them before getting anything.

This helps a lot!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube