add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How's this for a provisional upgrade list/looking for graphics cards suggestions

EasyPeasea

39 months ago

So, what I'm looking to upgrade from is this:

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5500 2.8Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3 Micro ATX LGA775 RAM: 4Gb (I'm unsure of the make) Video Card: Radeon HD 4650

What I'm looking to upgrade to is this:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ RAM: HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit

First off, does this seem like a reasonable upgrade? I know it's not going to be the most powerful thing out there, but it should be better than what I've got and I can get it for under £200, which seems to me to be a bargain. I mostly use my computer for watching/editing video, doing music, and browsing, although I would like to be able to play modern games - although I'm not overly worried about playing them on the highest settings.

Secondly, does anybody have any recommendations for a graphics card that will be compatible with that lot and which is better than the one I've got? And, as you may be able to tell by the amount I've budgeted for everything else, I don't have massive amounts of money to spend.

I do have a bit, though, so any suggestions for alternatives for any components will be welcome, even if they push the price up somewhat.

Thanks.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

whats is the total budget for your build? And do you need os or any Peripherals?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not actually 100% sure about budget as yet, which is partially why I'm looking for suggestions. I've got some money (and I'm owed a little more, but I'm not sure exactly how much), but I don't want to spend it all in one go.

I can probably do £400 without much thought, and maybe stretch a little beyond that.

As for peripherals, I don't think I need anything else, although it's possible I'll end up needing a new power supply, depending on how much whatever new stuff I decide on draws.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

There's two issues with that CPU, from my perspective. The first is that it's only got 2 cores. Even with hyper-threading that's fewer simultaneous calculations than the one I'm looking at, and I do tend to have my computer do lots of things simultaneously, so the more cores the better for me.

Secondly, the price you've listed is from the US while I'm in the UK. The site with that price doesn't deliver internationally, and it appears to be out of stock from UK vendors. So it's (a little) more expensive than the CPU I'm looking at, and the earliest prediction any website I can find can give me for delivery is 1 or 2 months.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

That is exactly the kind of information I came to this forum in search of. Thank you very much. However, the problem is still that the CPU is "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months". I was hoping to be up and running within a week or two at most.

Also, do you have any suggestions for a GPU?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

There are other suppliers other than Amazon just a little more $ but the advice stays the same dont go AMD at the moment.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any alternate suggestions for CPU, etc?

As for your other questions, as I said above, I can probably do £400 total without too much thought, and maybe a little beyond that, depending on a couple of factors I'm not 100% sure about as yet, and I mostly use my computer for sound/video editing, watching videos, and browsing the internet, although I would like to be able to play modern games but am not too worried about doing so on the best quality settings.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube