add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 won't update ? I found the instructions to fix it!

Gooberdad
  • 44 months ago

So my daughter's pc, Lavender Lady would not update even adter letting the thing stay on for several days. Thinking a move to Windows 10 would fix this issue, I tried that route. Nope, without 7 updated it wouldn't install 10. I downloaded the missing driver per the error code and installed it in each of the program and Windows folders associated to the profram trying to run with very little success.

Now that the 10 upgrade is no longer free, my daughter told me she was ready to wipe the ssd and hdd for a clean install. So she saved her drawings, and art files on the external drive. Wiped both disks and fresh install. No change. I let the updater run for several days with no progress. I finally got a working Internet Explorer 10 and googled until I found this.

http://plugable.com/2016/06/08/windows-7-wont-update-what-to-do/

Following this process exactly I was able to let the pc run overnight for the steps suggesting about 3 hours. Three nights of this and boom. All updates installed. No more missing driver errors when either boiting or trying to run programs. Is so relieving to find the error is from Windows itself and fixable without buying a new install of Windows 10.

This link and process is a God send. I hope it helps you too. If you can't download from Microsoft due to the pc, use a known good pc to obtain the program on a usb drive and get that sucker working again.

Anyone else have that problem?

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I had this problem in my Dell PC where the update would just be stuck at "Preparing to Download". Fixed it by taking the Windows 10 route back when it was still free.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah this bugged me. I'm glad I found those instructions. I hope it helps others.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube