add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Web Developer Build For College Project

njn2000

38 months ago

So in my college we got to make a pc build for a web developer with a budget of £1000 (we don't need to include tax!)

I was wandering if this build would be suitable and whether or not I could get anything cheaper

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mGn9Cy Here is the build.

This build is just for a scenario: I'm not actually going to build and use this. It just has to theoretically work.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What does the Prof. want to see?

That you can handle money?

That you know what parts to use?

That you can choose the best bang prer buck?

Should be under 1000 GBP without the taxes:

maybe even go with 32GB of RAM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £295.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £39.99 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £127.43 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £78.17 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £79.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £59.90 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GT OC Video Card £234.45 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case £59.83 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £84.76 @ CCL Computers
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer £17.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1077.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 11:33 BST+0100
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't recall any web development tools requiring a GTX 970. Lol :P

Before I tweak your build(it needs it).. I would like to know the following things.

• What IDE and other tools are you going to be using?
  • Are you going to virtualize a SQL/Web/SharePoint server on your dev machine?
  • What language/framework are you going to be using (back end code).
  • Other usage for the computer (IE: Gaming, Video editing, Streaming (example: Plex).

PS: I am a Web Developer and my dev box is a Xeon X5650 with 24GB of RAM with 2 cheap GPUs for the purpose of a quad 1080p monitor setup + Projector.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah some of the parts here are useless. I looked into CPU's and what kind of MOBO I'd need and whether I'd need a cooler. I forgot to change out some of the parts.

All we've been told is that we need to design a PC build to be used for web development. We need to specify the parts, the OS and other software we are going to use like Dreamweaver. We have to take into consideration the sys. requirements for the programs too.

Could you maybe point me in the right direction?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I was also going in for a dual monitor setup so i will need a decent GPU won't I?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Integrated graphics should handle 2-3 displays without issues. Please look at Intel's specification of HD 530 Graphics. (Select Graphics Specification on the left navigation panel.)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The system requirements for Dreamweaver are very low. Here are a list of programs that I use on a weekly basis to give you an idea of what a Web Developer can/will use.

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2013
  • SharePoint Designer
  • Adobe Photoshop CS6
  • SQL Compare
  • Microsoft Office Suite (Primarily Excel, Access, Infopath, and PowerPoint)
  • Hyper-V (sometimes)

I rarely use Hyper-V, because I have a real test environment. But when I do, it's destroys my system resources so having the Xeon/24GB memory helps a lot. Also, when compiling, the Xeon is amazing but when I am not doing either, it's unnecessary. Before I got this current dev system, I was using a 4th Generation i5 system with 8GB of memory and it was perfectly fine but just took a little extra time to compile code. Also, for one of my applications I manage, I often run scripts in Photoshop to re-size/watermark/etc to photos.. My i5 system would take over an hour to automate/transfer 500 or so photos. My Xeon machine can do it in about 10-15 minutes saving me countless hours over the course of months.

Bottom line: The system you need is highly dependent on the type of development the developer will be doing..

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Strictly speaking, for web development, you don't need a dedicated GPU. The integrated graphics of your CPU shall be enough.

Furthermore, your CPU does not support overclocking, while the rest of your components (CPU cooler, motherboard, RAM) does. Do you want to overclock your CPU and RAM (otherwise the max RAM speed if 2133 Mhz). If not, you can do with cheaper components.

I'm not sure how large your project is. Maybe for large projects, you can benefit from an i7 CPU. If you'll just start web development (so you'll do simple projects), you might not want to spend much and sticking with the i5 is OK. Even i3 if you want to save money.

Here's a non-OC build for you with savings:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £164.99 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £76.55 @ CCL Computers
Memory *Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £62.99 @ Ebuyer
Storage A-Data S511 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £46.55 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £59.38 @ YoYoTech
Case BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case £52.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £81.32 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £544.77
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 11:42 BST+0100
  • i5 CPU, the turbo of the i5-6400 will give you extra speed if needed.
  • stock Intel Cooler does fine, no need for aftermarket CPU cooler.
  • motherboard with 16 PCIe lanes, 4 RAM slots, and USB 3.1 support.
  • 2 x 8 GB RAM
  • SSD for quicker storage operations.
  • no need for an optical drive, as you should be install OS from a pen drive instead.
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate. The part list i made was a disaster. I don't know what I was thinking with the GPU!

Also, the OC gear was there mainly because I was gunna inlcude an i7 and I did some research to find a good mobo and cooler. After I added the parts and saw the price I just kinda gave up, that's why I came here for some help.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

**Here's the task we have been set: " Research three market leaders (e.g. HP, Dell, Acer and Apple) and create a table to compare the performance of each computer system that you believe would benefit the web development team. You must create a further table to research and compare different types of software, operating systems etc"

"From your research you are to create a presentation that you will present to the web development team explaining which system you believe best suits their needs and why. You must also include your recommendations for software to be purchased and justify these choices. Remember ‘security’!"

Now we have been told that we could make a custom build if we choose.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A custom build can usually be cheaper than prebuilt computers. However, caution has to be exercised not to have one component bottleneck others. Just a silly example: don't get a 128 GB of RAM when you have a low-end CPU.

So as others have already mentioned, you usually buy components for a specific task. That is, you will need a different PC for running virtual machines with database for testing and for just plain HTML development.

Did you instructor define what kind of web project you shall prepare for in this assignment? If not, you can make it part of your presentation, like "For simple development such and such components are good value for money" or "These components would be able to effectively handle virtual machines and local data bases with multiple instance of this and that IDE (Integrated Development Environment)".

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

He hasn't specified although I will ask him. Thanks for the help

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube