add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
NonchalantDante

39 months ago

You can hopefully read the title so I won't bother with that, but I need opinions on this build. Ways to cut down unnecessary costs, recommendations to change ****** parts etc. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3MMCy

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

You're going to be hurting if you go with 2x4GB of memory on an H110M when you want to upgrade.. Go with a single 8GB so you can buy another 8GB stick to upgrade instead of replacing both modules.

Also, you will definitely want a better PSU.. You don't have to go buy the best on the market since you have low power requirements and will not be overclocking the CPU.. Search the PSU tier listing on Reddit and see what's available in your budget range in Tier 2-3 around 450-600watts.. My favorite PSUs for the price are the EVGA B series.

Additionally, you should consider a bigger SSD for the same price.. The Samsung EVOs are expensive because they are MLC drives which aren't necessary unless you plan on having it for 5+ years.. You can stick with a nice TLC drive like the A-DATA SP550 or the OCZ Trion 150.. With those you could go up to a 240GB for a few dollars more.

The 1TB drive you have selected is an older model with a slower interface and lower cache than the newer mainstream 1TB drives often use on this site. I would only recommend that hard drive if you really can't afford to spend 10 more dollars and only want to use the drive as a backup/data drive.

If you would like more direction, I can tweak your build myself and post it, but I think it's better if you look into the things I said that you will gain some knowledge and have a better idea of what you are putting into your machine.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like some further clarification on why I said what I said.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the response, Any recommendations for a good MOB at a similar price? I am ready to spend more if needed, in fact i would spend up to 800-850 if there is some significant performance benefit to spending a little more.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The most important thing for a motherboard in your situation is to make sure that it has the features that you would like on it. The performance difference between the H110, B150, H170, and Z170 are nearly non-existent in 99% of scenarios, especially gaming. Even though other chipsets support more/faster PCI-E lanes, it seems to be irrelevant. I can talk about this for an hour..

With that being said, I've built multiple rigs recently with that exact motherboard in it and they have performed great. I typically use B150 chipsets when I use an i5 or higher, but that's only really because the budget is higher and I can afford a slightly better motherboard.

As a direct response : There is not a significant performance benefit to spending a little more on a motherboard. At least not currently.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I was more asking for one with 4 RAM slots so that I can run 4x4gb instead, But I will look at getting a single 8gb stick for now and one later

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

That motherboard only has 2 ram slots, you don't want to fill both of them with 8gb of ram. Get 1X8gb and you can upgrade later on if needed. There wont be any loss in performance.

Get a better PSU.. The newer CXM 450,550 and 650 are good but the older ones not.

53 bucks for a 120gb SSD is INSANE. You can get a 240gb for a little more or a 120gb for less than 40. NOw a 240gb would make more sense. If you still want a 120gb ssd, this

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qf98TW/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp550ss3120gmc

Get a better HDD.

Last go with the MSI RX 480 which IMO is the best and most quiet RX 480.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $198.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $44.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $32.98 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.71 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card $269.88 @ OutletPC
Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case $42.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $785.41
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $735.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 09:22 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Why an MSI over the sapphire, I couldn't find any real comparisons between 480s online so the sapphire was a bit of a random choice between the two

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good, but I'd spend a few dollars more to get a better power supply.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $198.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $46.98 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $38.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $52.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.75 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video Card $278.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $73.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $780.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 08:56 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

better as in Silver or Gold rated? I forgot to add that I will be overclocking the GPU

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

better as in Silver or Gold rated?

That doesn't mean anything. There are many bronze units which are better than gold ones. It comes down to better components and performance.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, this ^

The corsair builder is an alright power supply, but decidedly budget. It's worth spending a little bit more if you can to get a power supply that would last longer / be more reliable

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

This is misleading.. Ratings do mean something.

However, a rating does not mean that it is a more reliable or higher quality unit.

PS: I am not arguing with you pegotico. Just clarifying your response for anyone that reads it.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mhzXRG

If anybody has tested msi vs sapphire for better cooling let me know

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube