add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice for silent gamer setup

EloGonno

38 months ago

Hi all.

(sorry for my bad english).

This is my first setup and I need some advice/help for building a stabile and quiet system for my son. My son plays The Far Cry Collection (1-4 + primal), Dying Light, The Division, Watch Dogs and wants to play Watch dogs 2.

So, the video card choosen is a gtx 1080, and the cpu is and i7 6700 - I don't think it's worth to buy a 6700k, afterall my son does not overclock and wants a stable system (reliable).

This is what I have in mind:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor £262.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler £67.98 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £168.06 @ More Computers
Memory Kingston Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £155.05 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £139.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Storage Western Digital Red Pro 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £134.92 @ Amazon UK
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card £622.86 @ BT Shop
Case be quiet! DARK BASE 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower Case £155.53 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £84.76 @ CCL Computers
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full 32/64-bit -
External Storage Western Digital Elements 1TB External Hard Drive £49.81 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1840.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 21:17 BST+0100

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What resolution/refresh rate are y'all gonna play at?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. I recommend getting Windows 10 for DX12
  2. Since you are not going to OC, get an H170 or B150 motherboard instead
  3. WD Red is for RAID configs, I recommend WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda
  4. For gaming, 8GB of RAM is more than enough
  5. For gaming, the difference between an i5 and an i7 is negligible as most games barely even use all 4 cores 100%
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

wants a stable system (reliable).

That is all part of overclocking, if you make sure the system is stable it will be stable and reliable.

You don't need 32GB of RAM, is a huge waste of money. I would also get a cheaper Z170 board and ditch the massive HSF since you won't be overclocking and either stick with the stock cooler or something like a Cryorig M9i.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I consider the RAM size and MOBO. I'm a fan of Noctua afterall Noctua cools silent, so I will consider changing the Noctua model ;)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Resolution... well he likes to play eg. Far Cry 4 at highest setings (ultra) and he have a AOC 144 Mhz g-sync monitor. He always complain the fps rate ;)

Hope is answer enough.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with something like this. Dropped the CPU to a 6600K, in case he does decide he wants to overclock in the future. Also, it has better single-core performance than that i7. Went down to 16GB of RAM. Dropped the m.2 drive for a standard SSD. Unless you're moving massive files (for gaming, you're not) you won't notice a difference. Got a standard Seagate 2TB drive for mass storage. If it's 1080p@144Hz, a 1070 will do fine. If 1440p, stick with the 1080. Dropped the PSU to the 550W version. Went up to Windows 10 instead. And unless you just love that case, I would consider a different one (smaller, mainly)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £210.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £39.99 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £127.04 @ CCL Computers
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £69.98 @ Novatech
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £133.08 @ Aria PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £59.38 @ YoYoTech
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card £622.86 @ BT Shop
Case be quiet! DARK BASE 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower Case £155.53 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £70.97 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit -
External Storage Western Digital Elements 1TB External Hard Drive £49.81 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1538.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 21:49 BST+0100
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Amazia. I agree with you... but he allways argued for "new games will demand a i7", "I don't want to crash - and a i7 prevent some of the crashes" bla, bla... so the processor is most for home peace than a rationel analysis of the game demand ;)

And yes - I'm a bit confused about the HD - It have to be reliable and not noisy!

I consider the RAM size, but not sure about the RAM vendor of type.

I'm lost in choosing the MOBO, I think the z170 chipset will secure not upgrading the next 3 years and at the same time a got a relible MOBO.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

new games will demand a i7", "I don't want to crash - and a i7 prevent some of the crashes"

ZERO games need a i7 to run. Having too weak of a CPU wouldn't make your game crash, you would just get a low FPS and a i7 would not prevent crashes in anyway. A decently overclocked i5 6600K would get better performance than a i7 6700.

It have to be reliable and not noisy!

This isn't 1995. The Barracuda is reliable and quiet.

not sure about the RAM vendor of type.

Brand doesn't matter a bit when it comes to RAM.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I appreciate your advice. It's certainty not 1995 and seagate have evolve since then ;) I recall Seagate been not a realible vendor that time and Quantum taking the lead;)

I agree with you... the i7 issue is more a "home peace" issue - He got his i7 and the family got peace ;)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that info. I live in Denmark, anyway in my case it seems cheapper buying in UK.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That will be nice - I will appreciate :) Thanks in advance

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot!

I will check Newegg out - my concern is the shipping cost to Denmark, but I find out :)

Thanks again :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube