add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Rahod

38 months ago

Below is my build. I wanted to use the M.2 due to the speed and size. I only need 500gbs for this build and my budget is around 1k. I am trying to weed out bad parts. So if you can give me some feedback outside of the SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $213.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $81.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $62.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $315.62 @ B&H
Video Card Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card $249.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Antec VSK4000E U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $43.33 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1102.77
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1082.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 20:59 EDT-0400

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

m2 actually provides no real world loading speed improvement for most uses, get a sata3 ssd and put the extra towards better components in other areas (psu for example).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A PCIE (x4 on mine, I think) interface on the m.2 port is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than SATA 6Gb/s. A factor of three, I think. Consider m.2 to be a format, and you need to pay attention to the SSD interface - it can be SATA or PCIE. As long as the port (mobo) support a PCIE connection and the SSD provides it, it will be significantly faster than other SSDs - not because it is m.2 but becasue it is PCIE.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm aware of the difference between the current m2 interfaces :D

If you've got a link with data that refutes the techreport review I'd love to see it :D

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, pcie is approx 4GB/s where SATA III is 600MB/s. Then you can run benchmarks where a SATA drive is in the ~500mb/s read/write and pcie drives are 2500-3000 mb/s etc.

But what xPat said is taking it to the next level and he/she is correct. The REAL world usage of the drive is not much different at all ie: booting up windows, using the drive, access times etc. You won't get a 4-5x improvement from your computer by using it. Sure, run a benchmark and it will show that increase, and some sustained file transfer could see it (assuming you have 2 pcie drives to move data between etc).

So in summary, your benchmark will show 4-5x increase in speed. Boot times will be almost the same. FPS in games will be the same. General use of the PC will be about the same. Price will be higher for the PCIE SSD drive. The future will be going to PCIE I'd assume and maybe someday you will see those gains in real use, but today isn't it. With that said it just depends what you want and what you can afford. I'll still get a m.2 pcie drive (960 evo probably) in my next build, but in reality it will function about the same for me as a SATA III SATA drive for lower cost.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You probably won't like that case. My general rule is to look for cases with screw-in slot covers rather than pop-out. Fractal Design Core series is an option there.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube