add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows install on new computer without optical drive

Chronos1225

38 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qXXh7h

So above is the build I have so far, the only issue is how do i manage to get windows on it? I've read using a bootable USB is a pain in the *** so that's already out. I'm mainly wondering if I could get a external optical drive that plugs in via usb to install a disk version of windows onto the computer from.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. You can get a DVD Drive to install Windows 10 DVD

2. You can just get the Windows 10 USB Flash Drive and just stick it into your USB 2.0

I have used the 2nd method and it works absolutely fine.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read using a bootable USB is a pain in the *** so that's already out

Whoever told you that is lying.... because its Very easy. The only difference is you are booting from a usb drive instead of an optical drive but it is exactly the same process afterwards.

Creating the installer is also very easy

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download tool and get at least a 4gb usb drive and create the installer. An advantage you will have is getting the latest available build (anniversary) when you download from Microsoft site. I doubt you will get latest version if you purchase a DVD. You can still purchase the dvd but I would just use the key and install from usb drive.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 1.Open side panel or top of case
  • 2.Connect ODD to SATA and power
  • 3.Check BIOS if the ODD is found correctly
  • 4.Set it as first boot device
  • 5.Install Windows from DVD
  • 6.Disconnect the ODD and check BIOS again
  • 7.Close case

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube