add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PCPP User with 1st Build

Kovneski@yahoo.com

38 months ago

Hi All,

Just looking for any opinions/recommendations on my first build/parts list. Not a gaming platform, just for common home application use (with a little performance enhancement). ;)

Specifically looking for suggestions on cabinet and p/s.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kovneski%40yahoo.com/saved/Gj8dCJ

Thanks.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A few observations... It's worth investing more in the CPU as a proportion of the total, it is the heart of this kind of machine. It's worth having a quad core CPU, as opposed to the dual core that you had selected, especially for multi tasking. The RAM you chose cannot be fully exploited by the motherboard you chose, so you can go for DDR4 2133Mhz RAM which is a bit cheaper. In the build below I have thrown a few ideas out there for you - a regular SATA SSD (still very fast!), a case with a PSU supplied and a single wide screen monitor. Let me know if any of this is going in the right direction. Oh, and Win10... definitely worth embracing as its shockingly elegant and simple to use.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $213.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $98.98 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $81.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $76.80 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.48 @ NCIX US
Case Thermaltake VO545A1N2U ATX Mid Tower Case w/450W Power Supply $50.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $59.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor LG 25UM56-P 25.0" 60Hz Monitor $179.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $930.98
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $895.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-27 18:40 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Will,

Thanks for the response and the ideas. I initially had a i5 but, from what I researched, I was under the impression that the quad core and multi threading capabilities of that processor would only be fully utilized on gaming/graphic intensive applications. I know nothing about threading and how it affects performance.

As for the SSD, is there a drawback to using the m.2 slot to mount the SSD other than losing that 1 SATA 6GB/s?

I've grown kind of attached to having the dual monitor setup but, it's something to think about. The reasons I'm thinking Win 7 instead of 10 is because I already have Win 7 and also I HATED Win 8 and was afraid 10 was more of the stuff I didn't like.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

The number of cores helps you out if you have multiple tasks happening concurrently, E.g, music playing while web browsing while video encoding. Increasingly general use software like Chrome is being built to target multi core machines and not just games/graphically intensive apps. But, the price differential on the processors is huge so you could be on to something here if you never multi task. However, remember that there are often background tasks going on, e.g anti virus or update downloads, which can bring a whole different dimension to this. We're living Bob Noyce's dream of general purpose computing via multi cores not infinite speeds.

No drawback with M.2 except thermal throttling causing their performance advantage to be negated. Samsung 960 Pro is about to come out which is supposed to address this, so if you've always dreamed of booting Windows in the blink of an eye, go for it! Win7 can be tricky to install on some M.2 boot drives.

You were right to hate Win8, it was a user experience designed for touch that was horrible in non-touch scenarios. This is all fixed and fixed amazingly well. Definitely worth taking the plunge here.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I greatly appreciate the tips. Thanks so much.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Thanks,

I take it you believe the original 16GB RAM was overkill for my purposes?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube