add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Gaming Desktop Advice

Rumaan

38 months ago

First, here's my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rumaan/saved/nM2Qzy

Edit: (Updated part list based on xPat's advice)

So I've been using laptops for a while, most recently an Alienware, and now a non-Dell desktop will suit me much better. Upgradable components, better pricing, etc. I'm all lined up to buy this through Amazon (some of the discounts are listed wrong on this site, notably the motherboard). My hopes for this desktop are to eventually, when I need it, get a second 970 card, maybe upgrade the RAM if necessary. I want to be using this thing for a good while.

Is there anything I have listed that some of you more experienced PC builders can recommend upgrades/changes to, or catch any problems that I may have missed?

My non-negotiable requirements are a 1TB SSD, the 970 graphics card (I want at least this) (GeForce 1060 is better at the same price), minimum 16GB RAM, and a quad core processor. If there are good reasons to change these, I'm open to suggestions. Preferably reasonable upgrades. XD

P.S. I do have a screen, mouse, and keyboard already. Wired Internet isn't really an option due to the routers position. I also have a cat who like to hide behind my laptop because of the heat, so the case I've chosen works well because I can actually see the cat if she covers the fan.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

970 is old gen now & beaten in every category by the 1060 (more powerful, cheaper, more ram, more power efficient) -

but unfortunately it doesn't support dual gpu config so... maybe go for a 1070 depending on your budget?

More than 16gig ram is not required for a gaming build.

212 evo is kinda old and as5 is very old, I would swap to a cryorig h7 and use the supplied TP.

Added faster ram & dropped 100w off the psu, 750w is still 200w above the site estimate for dual 1070's so that should be plenty.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $132.98 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $306.07 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card $414.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $87.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $40.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.88 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1661.82
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $1611.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-27 17:59 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So I changed my parts list based on your recommendations. I missed the better RAM for cheaper, so thanks for that! And the power supply was a bit of overkill. I didn't really think too much about it. The CPU fan and paste were just kind of thrown in there, so it's good to know I have a better choice now.

So here's the big question, is there a huge difference between these two processors that warrants $100? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tdmxFT/intel-cpu-bx80662i76700k https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gx648d/intel-cpu-bx80662i56600k

I'd be upgrading from an i7 2.30GHz on my laptop, so if the difference between these two CPUs isn't that massive, I may downgrade slightly and jump for the better GPU in its place.

Oh, and keeping this under $1600 would be nice. Closer to or under $1500 would be perfect, but I don't want to compromise so much that I'm behind game requirements like Dark Souls 3 and the like.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

NP man :D

So here's the big question, is there a huge difference between these two processors that warrants $100?

For pure gaming there's not a huge difference so they say, tho modern games are starting to make use of the i7's extra threads they're generally more useful for recording/streaming gameplay and heavy productivity apps, if you're coming from a laptop i7 then the 6600k is prolly a big enough jump to satisfy you :D

There's a couple of laptop i7s that run at 2.3ghz so I couldn't give you a userbenchmark link comparison but you can punch in your cpu model number yourself and see how it compares.

Utility of a more powerful gpu (1070 is a beast, no doubt :D ) would depend on your monitor rez/refresh rate, for 1080p/60hz it's fine for now with a little futureproofering.

edit. if you wanna cost reduce you could always start with 8gig ram, fine for the majority of games still, and a cheaper small sdd/hdd combo, you could prolly save $1-200 of current cost then upgrade when funds are available.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Here my current screen: http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D24-D1-24-1080p-60Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV/49239323

Something just appeals to me about using a TV instead of a monitor, especially as I couldn't find much info about the differences.

I'm on my phone at work right now so I can't figure out my laptop's CPU model number. It would be nice to stream/record, but it's more of a passing fancy than anything I'd do regularly.

So downgrading the CPU. Now it's just down to the GPU. Is a 970 really at the lower end of gaming now? I want something that will last me a few years, hence why I was considering SLI with that model. Too bad the 1070 can't do that...

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

For a 1080p/60hz monitor I would stay with the 1070, that's still overkill itself tbh (see previous techreport link) and anything more powerful would be wasting money on performance you wont be able to see.

1070 (and above) can do sli [edit. sorry I didn't make that clear btw], it's only for the 1060 that nvidia locked it out. I wouldn't really call a 970 "lower" card as such but for me it's very difficult to justify going with one of those on a new build for the price they still command.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, okay. I must have read your message wrong about the 1070 not working on SLI. And as for the 970, it's just not as much bang for you buck?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube