add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Attempt at a VFX Build (Complete Beginner)

ninetynineflake

39 months ago

Hi guys,

I'm starting my last year of a VFX and Animation University Course and have decided I want to build my own computer and with the guidance of a couple of people on my course, these are the components that I have settled on.

My parts list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sz6PJV

I would like my computer to be able to handle rendering animations with Maya, rendering video and audio with premiere pro, and doing complex simulations as well, (pretty much any vfx or animation I were to throw at it).

I am a complete beginner to building computers, which is also why I'm asking the community if there are better parts that I should invest in or parts that are slightly cheaper? I managed to save up enough money to have a budget of £1000 and wanted to get the best specification that I could with the money, but as you can see, I am slightly above that, so any additional advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for reading, and I look forward to your responses and critique.

Dan

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Better performing RAM: higher clock speed, quad channel memory mode supported. Also, £10.57 cheaper.
  2. Double capacity SSD with about the same performance, only for £5.32 extra.
  3. A larger HDD could be useful too if you'll have a large amount of data.
  4. Will you need an OS?
  5. Will you overclock?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor £353.99 @ Ebuyer
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £32.49 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard £169.98 @ YoYoTech
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £57.34 @ CCL Computers
Storage A-Data S511 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £44.22 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.95 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card £414.98 @ YoYoTech
Case Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case £49.43 @ BT Shop
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £70.97 @ Amazon UK
Other Acer V226HQL 21.5 inch LED Monitor £72.49 @ Amazon UK
Other Acer V226HQL 21.5 inch LED Monitor £72.49 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1381.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-29 11:50 BST+0100

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube