add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How's this for a budget build?

deathbat6916

39 months ago

I intend to use this for a few games and basic computer stuff. I was able to use a computer with a low-end i3 just fine for everything except one game in particular...until the computer broke. I've seen videos of this processor in particular getting 30-40FPS on medium settings in 720P, so perhaps this will be fine for me.

Build here...idk how to format it so it shows but yeah

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... we know it's obsolete already as the fm2+ platform (and amds other am3+ option) are both getting replaced towards the end of this year/early next by the am4 range but if that's all the budget you have I don't think there's a whole lot you can do much better, just get faster ram tho (the fastest your mobo supports ideally) as that really helps performance for the built in gpu.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh here's a build I borrowed & modified from another thread, would make a better start as it's a current mobo that's still gonna be compatible with forthcoming cpus for another couple of years.

And I didn't notice that dvd burner is crazy expensive too, they're usually available for around $15 after promo.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $56.95 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $56.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $32.98 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.75 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 2GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $94.98 @ Newegg
Case Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec 450W ATX Power Supply $33.69 @ Directron
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $394.31
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $349.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-27 21:56 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if I want a Pentium in all honesty. And does that mobo have integrated Wi-Fi?

I was seeing comments complaining about the cheaper optical drives being loud, so I decided not to cheap out on that one.

Also to be honest I kinda like the idea of a case with integrated PSU, that way I'd know for sure the PSU actually fits.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if I want a Pentium in all honesty. And does that mobo have integrated Wi-Fi?

A pentium provides the same level of cpu performance now (+10% actually as per the previous userbenchmark link, single core performance is most relevant for gaming btw) while the mobo is compatible with any current gen skylake i3/5/7 as well as with the forthcoming kaby/cannon lake gens so you have way more upgrade options in teh future.

That's before you take in to account the almost exponential increase you'll get in gpu performance.

I didn't notice the built in wifi on your build tbh, a pcie add in card costs down to around $10 tho.

I was seeing comments complaining about the cheaper optical drives being loud, so I decided not to cheap out on that one.

Never had any issues with my optical drives and I always buy cheap ones :D Considering the extreme budget nature of the build spending so much on a dvd drive seems rather wasteful.

Also to be honest I kinda like the idea of a case with integrated PSU, that way I'd know for sure the PSU actually fits.

I understand where you're coming from but that's not really necessary imo, there's like 2 major psu form factors (atx & sfx iirc, large and small basically) and most cases/psus have multiple hole groups these days so I think there's a minimal to non-existent chance of buying a psu/case that are incompatible (and looking at the newegg pics I'm 99.9% sure they'll fit together).

The major advantage to buying a separate case & psu is you know the quality of the psu, the units they include in cases are pretty much always very poor quality and in may situations can't even provide their stated wattage output, imo it's actually safer to get them separate.

Anywho, it's up to you ofc but personally I don't see an advantage to the apu build.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the Pentium have hyperthreading by any chance? And for the Wi-Fi I'd rather not have to get it separate.

I was hearing complaints about them being loud, but I did lower the bar on the optical drive lol.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope no hyperthreading in the pentium, i3's, 7's and some xeons usually.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I'll just go for the quad-core APU.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm that's even lower price wise than when I tried making this build as cheap as possible with the a8. Also the A10, from what I've read, is only marginally better.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

To be fair, given the price is so similar and the K seems to yield better results than the A10-7800 (which is almost identical, performance wise, to the A8) I'll take it into consideration, but I don't plan on overclocking, so it doesn't really make much sense for me to get a K.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube