add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this partial build ok?

davecomputer

38 months ago

Hello,

Our old PC finally gave out. We are building a new PC using some old part from previous PC. We do not need a tower or PSU or a few other things.

We are wondering if this build will work well, and how it is for value. We want gen 6 Skylake chipset and DDR4.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mYRRVY

Thanks.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • You do not need an aftermaket cpu cooler with the i3 6100

For further help from me can you please answer these questions? What exact parts do you already have? What is your maximum budget for the remaining parts? What will this PC be used for (I assume a bit of everything)?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

How about more on CPU and less on MOBO?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $86.00 @ CPL Online
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $57.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.00 @ IJK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $153.00 @ IJK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $624.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-28 17:09 AEST+1000

Also, no cooler strictly required on non-K CPU.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you Monitor and will_w

Sorry, I should have given you more information from the start. I am building the PC for my father whos old PC blew up earlier this week. I am using components from my old rig.

The components we already have are- The tower is my old Thermaltake WingRS 100. We have a never been used Hytek 550A PSU. DVD player already in the case.

The current build we had at $615 was an ok price and can be managed but to be honest we were originally hoping to aim for about $500. So if we can get the price down and still ave what we need thats great.

The PC will primarily be used for home office, internet browsing and so on. There may be grand kids who will occasionally wish to play simple video games, nothing particularly demanding id say only something like Minecraft or The Sims, nothing majorly demanding on graphics but we may wish to add a budget graphics card at a later date as the kids grow older.

will_w, is there a reason the MOBO you recomended was Micro and what exactly is the differance other than price. Can we still add a GPU to it later? The MOBO was the most confusing component as there is so many available. We origianlly wanted USB 3.1 but the price difference on what we looked at was like an extra $60 and it didnt seem worth it. Im not sure exactly what makes one MOBO better than the other or what is the minimum we can use for entry level gaming.

I am ok with upgrading to an i5 if thats possible in budget but is it necessary for simple gaming and home office.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Dave.

P.S. We will probably still use a CPU fan its only $20 and makes me feel better =). The non-k doesn't need a fan because its not able to overclock correct? So it has no fan at all?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube