add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Vahlen

38 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $204.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $77.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $55.00
Storage PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $254.98 @ Newegg
Case Raidmax ATX-502WBG ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $102.98 @ Newegg
Monitor HP 27xw 27.0" 60Hz Monitor $248.77 @ Amazon
Monitor HP 22xw 21.5" 60Hz Monitor $124.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard $69.99 @ Newegg
Mouse Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse $39.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1399.63
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1359.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-28 23:26 EDT-0400

Just pulled the trigger on this setup for him. Fairly happy with the final price given the absolute lack of any decent current sales.........but he HAD to have one for his new apartment so there wasn't going to be any waiting with him lol.

Thought I'd get everyone's feedback on my choices, it's second build. Hopefully learned some good lessons from building mine!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Aww congrats! This sounds like a great build :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Just so you know that ram will be downclocked to 2133 with that motherboard.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU cooler is redundant on a cpu you can't overclock, stock is fine.

Skylake ram speed is capped to 2133mhz unless you have a z series mobo.

An upgrade to a gold rated psu actually pays for itself by saving money on the electricity bill, seasonic have a 650w discounted atm to $60 iirc.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya the RAM was on sale, $55 for 16gig was tough to pass up. CPU cooler is free since it came off my build after I replaced it with a 240mm rad (may or may not put it on if the case is a *****). As far as the PSU I'm really thrilled about getting such a highly rated piece given the lack of any decent deals in my price range. The Seasonic 650w Gold was $75 after MIR, it's the same PSU I have and just felt it would be overkill. I put that $25 towards a nicer keyboard.

This was truly a tight budget build given he needed EVERYTHING, so if I could pinch a penny without sacrificing quality I did. The monitors were my questionable piece, but we weren't shooting for the moon. They got great reviews and are stylish so I'm pleased.............would have liked to have gotten him a 29inch ultra-wide, but the deal gods just were not on my side today lol. (The 21inch actually ended up be $20 cheaper from amazon, that didn't show up).

Also forgot to mention that he really wanted a green theme

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

My Notes:

i5-6500: Great choice with H170 Board

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO: Not necessary, but preserves life of CPU well compared to stock cooler. Also, stock cooler is, no offense Intel, ugly compared to this.

Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3 Motherboard: Good choice, although I personally would have gone for MSI Z170 PC Mate, as it is a very affordable Z170 Board.

Team Dark 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2666: Another reason why I would have gone with Z170, as most H170 boards do not support this higher speed, but in dual channel, does the job. Personally, I would have gone with GeIL Super Luce 16GB (2x8GB) instead, but that is purely for aesthetics...

PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" SSD: I bought the 120GB model, because I personally do not need a 240GB; 120GB is doing just fine. Also, should I note, that I have 3 more hard drives in my PC: one 80GB, one 160GB, and one 2TB : >

Geforce GTX 1060: Excellent choice at price point. Period.

Raidmax ATX-502WBG ATX case: I like the style, however, I do not like the green LED (personal preference). Also, why get a case that has only one USB 3.0? Nowadays, USB 3.0 is very common. I personally would get a case with 2 USB 3.0 ports, not one, because one USB header can split into two onto the motherboard.

SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze FM Power Supply: Very cheap for its wattage; good. I personally would have gone with the EVGA 1600W T2 because it is literally the most efficient power supply at the time of typing this.

Asus Optical Drive: I don't care about them; some people need it, some people don't. In my dream build, I will have one, but just to have one.

Windows 10 Home: Excellent. I prefer the Pro versions however, as they tend to offer more overall. Not to mention, I have an uncle that can get me them keys for free... I didn't say anything, don't worry about it. Keep walking by....

HP Monitors: Why would you get two different sized monitors? I have a reason for temporarily using my two different monitors (both @ 1280x1024): the small one was on books so it matched.

Keyboard: Everyone has a taste. I won't critic this, although to say, I love how the keyboard isn't all out gaming, but conserves its keyboard normality (whatever that's supposed to mean...)

Mouse: Again, everyone has a different taste. I personally will get the Logitech G303 mouse, because of its awesomely high 12000 DPI. Although DPI usually doesn't make a big difference in overall performance, DPI will matter if you decide to go 4K resolution (or higher) however, as there is more pixels on the screen.

Cost: around $1400 total. Very nice cost for a complete build (including monitor[s] and peripherals)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Monitors were his choice, but I think he was copying my setup. I run a single 29' Ultra-wide with a small 21inch for web browsing etc........so no reason to spend another $60.

CD-drive was his call again as a "just in case" thing.

The case was literally the only decent one I could find sub $150 with green lighting (his preference again), admittedly though I didn't look very hard after finding this one.

I feel with maybe a bit more time I could have refined this build build to squeeze out a bit more bang for the buck, but think he will be pleased regardless. I appreciate the feedback! Having put this together myself I definitely am learning a ton about what works and what doesn't.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand about the monitors and CD drive; I was thinking that you thought out the whole build... I should have asked.

About the case, honestly you could have gone with a sub $80 case and replaced the stock case fans with green LED case fans (most likely 120mm). I believe Corsair sells a particular fan with green LEDs. Also, you could have applied green LED strips yourself, for about $10-20 more (rough estimate).

I can tell you put in lots of time and thought! Although I could recommend some better combinations, I think you may have a quite decent setup already! Oh, and tell him some guy from PCPP congratulates him on his apartment (not that it's of any importance...: >)

PS if you need any help with any PC related issues, let me know and I will do my best to assist you, as I am Indian Tech Support based in America LOLZ.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube