add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mid-Level WOW/LOL Build

tombull89

38 months ago

Building a machine for a friend - intended use some WoW and LoL/MOBA-style games. Maybe something more recent but not the latest releases.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gfrfd6

Budget ~£500 mark.

FX-6300 - Reccomended to me over the 4300 or an X4 CPU

RAM: 8GB of Corsair RAM

Motherboard: Decent mid-level board

SSD: Hynix SL308, put one in a previous build, pretty impressed with it.

Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red, good ATX case with plenty of cable management. Used several of these before in multiple colors.

GPU: Up for discussion, but RX460 4GB.

PSU: Non-modular Seasonic 430W.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

No point getting pretty much any of the FX lineup at the moment, changed to an i3-6100
Spent a lil more on your PSU to get you a better one.
Everything else is pretty much fine (Found your SSD on pc part picker)
Main problem with this list is that you don't have a hard drive for mass storage, 250GB will run out quickly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £92.91 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £83.71 @ Novatech
Memory Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £34.99 @ Novatech
Storage SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £58.22 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card £119.99 @ Ebuyer
Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case £49.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £49.99 @ Novatech
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £489.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-29 15:25 BST+0100
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory memory kit for £31.98 costs less and utilized dual channel memory mode, so that's a better choice of RAM imho.

And this is the CPU comparison for the OP. The i3-6100 has better single threaded performance which (sadly) is still more important to games than overall performance on all threads.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go for 1x8GB to add a second 8GB later.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you must have misread the motherboards RAM capacity, as it supports 4 DIMMS not only 2. :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I did not misread the motherboard's RAM capacity. I understand it supports 4 DIMMs. The reason I suggested 1x8GB is that it allows a better upgrade path in the future. Using 2x4GB would limit you to 16GB of ram total as 4x4GB. While that is a fine amount of RAM, using 1x8GB to begin with would allow you to have up to 32GB of ram as 4x8GB.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

True. Not it makes sense.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks good. For WoW and light gaming, you can stretch 250gb a long way. Beats the sludgy HDD speeds.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If no-one has done in depth testing then how to you know if

I3 will run the same problem it does in overwatch with a huge delta from high-low and the old 6300 will tie it and if you lock the 6300 at its boost clock will outright beat the I3.

Sounds like pure conjecture.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would still go with a 6100 and upgrade it later. There isn't a point to gimp yourself by going for the dead AM3+ platform which has very little upgrade path.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

WoW runs better on nvidia iirc.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube