add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can reduced airflow hamper performance of an SLI configuration?

Alexious

38 months ago

Hi, folks.

I just got new components, including 2xGTX 1080 Palit Super JetStream.

However, after reading this Reddit thread I'm rather worried that these cards are so huge that there would not be sufficient airflow (my motherboard is Asus Z170 Pro Gaming).

Do you think that could hamper the performance in any way?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yes it is, this is one of the reasons people avoid sli and also why many sli builds opt for watercooling.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies. Would the ASRock Extreme 7+ be more suitable? It has 4 PCie x16 slots.

http://i2.wp.com/www.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/m.21.jpg?w=800

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at the spacing, you might actually be better off with the asus, because you want to try to use the first two x16 slots if possible always and there's actually a good amount of space between slots 1 and 2 on the asus board. don't know actual measurements to verify though.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube