add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
philonmetal

38 months ago

Hey!

As the titel says, i want to build a nearly silent build for a gaming rig. One thing, i dont need a graphic card. My dad gives me his old one, i just cant remember what it was... But i know he played Witcher 3 with good settings and it was nVidia! I think the card will be enough for now, so i can spend my complete budget (about 1500€) for rest! The PC will be used for gaming, watching HD-content and HIFI-audioplayback (stereo and 5.1), he will be connected to a 55" Samsung TV and an old Onkyo 7.1 Receiver (that only has RCA-connectors)

Of course i want to upgrade later to a better graphiccard. Should i wait for new CPUs? Does the build make sense?

Thank you!

pcpartpicker

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you german? Then you should switch to the German site (top right corner) when assembling the PC. This will give you EUR for price and checks against availability in Germany. :) (Please fix the link after that as now it comes up with US prices and availability).

As for the PC, it looks fine to me. I guess you will overclock it, right?

As for the sound card... The integrated sound chips are pretty good for good quality motherboards. Give it a try and see how you like the sound of it. You might not need to spend 240 EURs unnecessarily. :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I am from Austria! But close enough :) To be honest, i thought that i changed the site to German!? But i will fix the link!

Until now, i havent thought abought overclocking... Will i benefit much of it? If so, i will read into it...

The "problem" with the soundcard is, my AV-Receiver cant handle HDMI-Audio and as a Sound-Engineer i cant handle my soundsetup with jack to RCA cables connected :)

Thank you!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Will i benefit much of it [OC]?

Yes, if your PC can use some extra power, overclocking can give this to you.

If you're not going to overclock, then you're probably spending more than you should. Get an i5-6500 instead, drop the CPU cooler (Intel's CPU cooler is fine) and get a cheaper motherboard, as Z170 is mostly for overclockers. Money saved. :D

my AV-Receiver cant handle HDMI-Audio and as a Sound-Engineer i cant handle my soundsetup with jack to RCA cables connected :)

How about SPDIF?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So with this money, i get a PC for overclocking and a performanceboost, or i spend less money and hav a decent setup... I will give this a thought!

SPDIF is an option, but with this Format it depends what digital signal will be used. If i use a "modern" soundcard i can feed my old AV-Receiver with anything. Even with uncompressed formats like Dolby Ture HD, which the Onkyo wouldnt support, as long as i use the D/A Converters of the soundcard!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You are right, current soundchips in motherboard are quite good! But i try to get extremely good sound quality. EAC-ripped FLAC files, foobar with direct sound and good speakers of course... On the other hand, i would like to enjoy surround sound not only in movies but in games too! And my headphones arent 1000$ headphones... But they sound good enough for a 240€ Soundcard...

Could be that i am stubborn about that Soundcardtopic... :)

Thank you for your opinion!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube