add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on ugrading CPU and GPU

Eddies978

38 months ago

Im sort of a noob at this and this is my first pc build that I mainly use for gaming and some music production. I play games like Battlefield 1, H1Z1, Dead By Daylight, FH3, and Mafia 3. I notice that i drop frames frequently from 60fps to about 20-30fps playing Bf1 and fh3 on mid to high settings.

Would upgrading my CPU and GPU help and would that be just a simple swap of parts? I don't plan on playing in 4K. Any opinions and criticism is welcome.

CPU: i5 4690k GPU: MSI GTX970

My current rig http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Eddies978/saved/WDsCmG

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that your current rig or your proposed upgrade?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Current

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you try overclocking the GPU?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have not yet.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Load up MSI Afterburner program and try overclocking the card a little bit to see if that helps. Otherwise, you might consider upgrading the GPU to a GTX 1070.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do. Thanks for the advice

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're only playing in 1080p your system is well suited for it. Try overclocking the CPU and gpu to see how much better performance you can squeeze before getting a new set up. The CPU is fine and the gpu is really good for 1080p if you're playing or planning to play at 1440p then upgrade to the 1070.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, OC a bit and sit on your current setup until next generation.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube