add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which bearing is better in general?

LemonComputers

38 months ago

Which bearing is better (more reliable, quieter, etc.) the Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) or the Magnetic (which I believe is used in HDD spindles)?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

At the moment the FDB bearings have been outclassed in reliability by the maglev bearings. The bearings don't make too much of a difference to the total noise output assuming all things are the same but they can make a big difference to the frequency curve and that can make them much more annoying.

The total noise output is also very dependent on the fan design as a good design will make a lot less noise. The CFM rating of the fan also makes a major difference too, so I would chose a fan which has a decent CFM and static pressure rating (this depends on the usage though) and noise output.

The overall reliability of the should be just fine so long as you buy fans from a good brand and they will outlast the computer you put them in anyway

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Not Lemon, but would like to thank you as well! Nice little helpful tidbit of info

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You're more than welcome

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, how do SSO bearing fans compare to magnetic levitation bearing fans?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know enough about the SSO bearing to be sure, but the only fans that I know have them are the noctua ones and they have very long lives and are quiet.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube