add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

intel pentium with gtx 760 vs alton x 480 with gtx 760

MunibGaming

38 months ago

I heard that the g3258 bottlenecks the gtx 760 and was wondering if I would use another processor which wouldn't bottleneck the gtx 760 for around the same price. Does anyone know of a CPU that is the around the same price but a bit better than the g3258? I will play games like gta 5, Arma 3, Doom, Overwatch, CSGO that it i think so thanks if your gonna help. My build is https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/MunibGaming/saved/#view=xGxZxr

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your overall budget for a PC?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I want a mid to weak PC so like $200-400. Can you please tell me if i will be ok with a g3258 with gtx 760. I don't want to play all the games only some. Thanks.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Id get something like this PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $64.49 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $43.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 460 2GB Red Dragon Video Card $104.98 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $56.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $36.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $396.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 23:48 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It's ok, but why a 760? Why not a newer card. How much is the 760?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

in Canada its about $100-130

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

plus I don't think the Pentium would be able to handle a newer card and I might run out of budget. lol

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

But yours is also good too

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Any CPU can bottlenck any GPU. Just get the word bottleneck out of your head since you most likely don't understand how it works, its not a black and white thing, and it really doesn't mean much as long as you are as close your performance/graphics/FPS goals as possible. The 860K is weaker than the G3258.

No point to go with the Haswell at this point since its two gens old now.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

oh okay thanks for your opinion but what do you think I should do with the CPU? Will the g3258 be ok? or should I change my CPU to a better one. Thanks

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Will the g3258 be ok?

Can it get the FPS you want or can live with? If so yes otherwise no.

should I change my CPU to a better one.

If the answer to the question above is a no then yes. The next set up would be a i3 6100.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The only thing i care about is id its playable and no microstutter IDC about FPS

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You shouldn't run into microsutter outside of Witcher 3 which just really hates dual cores for some reason. You probably do care about FPS, you wouldn't want to play at 10FPS in FPS game would you.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

lol I said in my earlier reply that I don't care about FPS I only care about the play ability. But thanks for letting me know. Hopefully i will be ok.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube