add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need some advice if possible

bigbrownbear

38 months ago

Hi i was hoping someone could give me some advice. I'm looking to create a new build and wanted to know if the components go well together or if there is better alternatives. I'd start out with a single gtx1080 and then add another few months down the line.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/c2Y3wV

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't say what your priorities are (gaming, video editing, whatever) but I will say the following:

SLI/Crossfire is NEVER as good as one expects - nor is it ever as good as spending the equivalent sum (or indeed just 50% more) on a single GPU. I suspect by the time you need a second 1080 it would be time for a complete rebuild anyway.

256Gb of storage is not going to be enough - for anything really. By the time you've installed Windows, a browser (with its cache files), a couple of big programs (photoshoppery/what-have-you) and a big game, there won't be much space left. You need at least a 1TB hdd if not 2TB. You could consider a hybrid drive .

You will need to choose a case which will accommodate your GPU - depending on its length - so do do some research on that, and don't skimp on the cost of the case. I used to buy the cheapest case I thought I could get away with it, and when I finally bought my Fractal R5 I realised what a mistake I'd been making. If you rally DO want to double-up your GPU you'll want a case that can provide a lot of airflow to shift all the hot air produced.

Personally I'm a convert to AIO liquid coolers now. They allow you to mount them as extra intake fans which helps to expel the GPU hot air (my Radeon runs hotter than your nVidia will) and they are also very 'low profile' inside the case, allowing a lot of airflow through and over other components.

With your GPU you could probably be looking at a 144Hz monitor, and my personal preference is for two monitors rather than one big one: for some reason it just seems to work better if you run a lot of different desktop programs and browser windows at the same time. Of course if you are looking at 30" for gaming not working then it's a different matter.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey egamar,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm a developer so will use programs like phpstorm, photoshop etc and the odd bit of 3D rendering. I'll be gaming on the weekend.

Valid point about the second 1080 maybe i'll just wait and see how it goes before thinking about adding another 1080 or something else.

I already have a wd black 1tb 3.5 sata hard drive from my current pc which i will move over to my new build.

I've not heard the best of things from AIO liquid coolers. Have you been running a AIO liquid cooler?

And i actually prefer the one large screen compared to two gives a better view of everything IMO.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This is more or less my build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/egamar/saved/7B6v6h (I've scrapped the legacy drives and added 2x2TBs).

I am very happy with my liquid cooler. Much easier to install than I expected and does away with that feeling you've got a 1kg lump of metal dangling off your CPU! Leaves a very 'clean' interior too. With 4x120 fans blowing into the case through the radiator (top-mounted on my Fractal R5 case) plus one front intake and rear exhaust I can even keep my RX480 cool with a bit of OCing. No issue with memory clearance either.

The only thing you have to plan - but it's not a big deal - is where you'll mount the radiator & fan assembly to take account of pipe length and then mount drive cages and other fannage accordingly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube