add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3 weeks of researches for +-1400 $ CAN Updated

Juukyuu

38 months ago

I've been looking around, searching for cost effective alternatives on the canadian market since it looks like we don't have the same availabilities as our southern cousin. My actual computer was already average 6 years ago so it was time for a change.So this is my first build that I will actually build myself. I'm looking for a mostly silent computer, not overclocked and with good ventilation.

I'm going for an current gen games ultra settings 1080p witl some streaming potential. Any tips and comments are greatly appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $264.99 @ Newegg Canada
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $119.99 @ NCIX
Memory Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $124.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $108.99 @ NCIX
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $24.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fan Rosewill Hyperborea 89.5 CFM 140mm Fan $9.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fan Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan $11.49 @ NCIX
Other ICY DOCK MB343SP TurboSwap Tray-Less 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Mobile Rack $12.99
[REMOVED]
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $988.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 13:47 EDT-0400

Here's some of the logic behind my choices:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor Since I wasn't going for the usual i5-6600k overclocking, I think that the i5-6500 is a better cost to performance than the locked i5-6600

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler It seems like in the canada, even the small Cryorig C7 is 50.00 for here's a silent alternative for a couple of celcius of cooling. Small option to replace stock cooler.

Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Since I don't want to Overclock, used some input to replace de Z170 board for this one.

Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory, nothing special here (also max non OC available with motherboard)

Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive main disk and Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive game storage disk. Seems like a standard setup for SSD and HDD. Saved 40$ on the SSD by switching Samsung 850 to the OCZ TRION 150.

Video Card: Open right now, will update after some researches/comments are in. 400$ budget, MSI or ASUS prefered. I won't be doing VR so VR ready card is not an obligation.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case Found this case at the last minute when browsing the complete list. I'm happy that it fits in the enclosure under my dest and has plenty of modular ortions for vents (since its larger, it won't have side vent) I plan on keeping the 5.25 drive bay and getting rid of the 5x 3.5 and the 3x3.5 bays for extra fans space. The HDD and SDD will be in the second 5.25 bay with an ICY DOCK MB343SP TurboSwap Tray-Less 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Mobile Rack. Getting a second Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan to keep the design identical in front but 3 extra stronger but still silent Rosewill Hyperborea 89.5 CFM 140mm Fan for a slightly stronger push build (3 in 3 out but 2 stronger rosewill in the out setup on top vs 1 for the in on the bottom)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. Always go gold and for 20$ extra, Fully modular always do a cleaner job and keeps air flowing. Down from the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W.

Others: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ODD and Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit OS [REMOVED]

Special thanks to these awesome people for their input on the build 1.0

@alex_church_13 @Carrier_Taihou

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I still think if you've got 400 bucks to play with one of the aftermarket cooler RX480's is going to be your best bet. The Powercolor Red Devil is a fantastic card (have one in my dad's machine) and would easily recommend it as it performs just as good as the ASUS and MSI cards while costing less.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the RX480 that much better than the GTX 1060 or the R9 390?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The 1060 and 480 trade blows across a lot of titles, with the 1060 performing slightly better. I don't think it's worth the increased cost though. Also, if previous generations of GPU's are anything to go off of, AMD cards tend to last longer as they continually get new driver updates. If you plan to keep the computer as is for a few years, I think the 480 is a better choice

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

All right, you got me sold. I know you like your powercolor Red Devil but i'm a sucker for MSI so i'll be going for this RX 480 GAMING 8G It has a couple of nice featuers like the idle fans under 60C and the gaming app for a nice silent/gaming/oc tweaks that will get some extra juice out of the card.

Thanks again for the amazing inputs.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If the budget was more flexible I'd agree. If it comes down to a faster SSD or a better GPU in a budget build though, take the GPU everytime.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Sale of software and keys from that site often violates the ToS or are resold licenses purchased via fraudulent credit card. Recommending, suggesting, advising, encouraging, hinting, or in any way implying these keys as a solution or option is not allowed on this site.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

All right, i'm unlinking that part, thanks and sorry.

Edit: no need, already done by staff :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube