add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SUPER OCD Person's FIRst build MUST BE PERFECT!!!!

dinof22

38 months ago

Hey y'all this is my first time posting on a forum! please help my poor soul!! im sorry this is such a long post but i really want to know this stuff... and hopefully it can be an exhaustive guide for many other people in the future!

This is my first build and i have literally been losing hours upon hours of sleep. i need some pro tips and opinions of this build, everything from money saving, to parts, to aesthetics!! so far I have this build picked out, and i think its pretty dang solid. but i have a few concerns about it that ill explain in a sec. (please forgive me not dotting my t's and crossing my i's (lol), im really just trying to slam all of this out as fast as possible!) list so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YvbqHN

i want to build a future-proof and upgradable pc for some dope gaming and some good productivity with video editing, possibly some maya work in the future, and for using kali linux and some other Virtual machine work. my goal is to get the absolute MOST bang for the buck out of this build! so far i think Ive done done a pretty solid job being able to get a FULLY overclockable pc for just under $1100 (with all that storage!). im really trying to nail that 1000 dollar mark. i like the price point... i am selling my gaming laptop because gaming laptops are really not a good use of your money. i am pretty sure i can get exactly $1000 if i sell it now. but i digress. If you see any blaring concerns already go ahead and blurt them out now! but here is my jumble of thoughts and concerns:

...........................................................................................MAIN CONCERNS...................................................................................

MOTHERBOARD: MY main concern at the moment is the motherboard. it seems like this msi board is sort of a business style board. it seems to have some good capabilites. but i just worry about it because of how low priced it is. it was the board of pc part pickers "exellent build guide" before they switched it to the ASRock gaming k4 board (which seems to have some crap reviews. feel free to change my mind though). and it has sli support, overclocking and what not. i am also wondering if the software on msi boards is alright? anyone have some experience??

CPU: my concerns with the cpu directly link to the motherboard. i think the cpu will be able to work very well, BUT do YOU think the cpu will be ok for my plans? ive got some people pushing me the other way... i would DIE to get an unlocked i7 but its just so much more expensive!! i also am thinking about upgrading in the future because of this.... but that brings up 2 concerns... i want to get a GOOD motherboard becuase of that. i want to have this build last a long time and i think the motherboard is one of the most important components in terms of longevity. do i get a better motherboard and a normal i5 and wait to earn mo money? it seems like the sweet spot for decent motherboards is around 150 bucks.

...............I have found to things related to this that i want opinions on.................................................................. at newegg there is a Intel Core i5-6600K and a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX MOBO combo for 360 bucks. i read that the bios software is pretty great on this board and has a couple more ports. so this one, or MSI?? is the few extra buck worth it for this combo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2848478

and then at MICROCENTER there is a DOPE combo for and an AWESOME asus mobo with great reviews and an i7 6700K(!!!) for 394 DOLLARS that i would get in a HEARTBEAT.... but there is only one problem.... its an in-store-only thing and there are NO microcenter stores in utah where i live!!!!! . does anybody know how i can get around that? is there a way i could still order that thing online that anyone knows about? http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

............................................................................................MONEYYYY................................................................................

TAX FREE WEBSIGHTS: this also makes me think of more money saving stuff: what are the best ways i can save money buying computer stuff???? at the B and H websight. i dont have to pay ANY sales tax becuase of where i live. are there any other websites that offer good discounts like that any tips you have to offer similar to saving money?

SPONSERS OR SOMETHING: also, all those pc buileders and tech heads on youtube (like bittwitt, hardwarechinuks, pauls hardware) get sent free stuff all the time to test out and do whatever they want. im not sure how it works, but is there any way i can do that? can you just call gigabyte and ask them to give you a free thing if you do a review of it? is there anyones butt i can kiss to get sent like a free ram stick or something?

........................................................THE REST OF THE PARTS...........................................................................................

RAM: GOOD Muskin is said to be a good brand and i couldnt find a better price for ddrr2400 at 16 gig.

HDD: GOOD read hitachi is the most reliable. and this ones dirt cheap.

SSD: ALRIGHT? love 480 gigs and price. but A-DATA??? i will keep the good stuff on my hdd. if adata dies, i could just find another and reload the OS and Adobe, right??

PSU: GOOD at 60 bucks i think i nailed this one.

COOLER: GOOD ENOUGH

GPU: i think this 1070 will be fine because from that i have read all 1070 cards perform very similarly. i do plan on moderate overclocking and people have been able to get this card up to 2100mhz.

CASE: I think the case is dope, what do you think? you think all the colors will look good together ? i think the white black and red should look pretty good if all the parts end up matching that pallete. the orange on the gpu will be face down so i dont think it will clash with the red.

.........................................................................CLOSING.......................................................................

id really be surprised if you read all of this. but thank you so much in advance for your help. i think if everything goes right this could be one killer build and hopefully other people will use it.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are serious about getting the price down to $1000, then the first part I would change is the SSD. The Crucial MX300 275GB is an excellent alternative.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rrvZxr/crucial-mx300-275gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct275mx300ssd1

There really is not much else to change to bring the price down except for the CPU. You could go with the i5-6500 to start and upgrade to the i7-6700K later.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You know that's actually a really good idea. I should have thought of that before! I think I will go for the smaller ssd and use that extra 50 bucks toward a motherboard I feel more comfortable about! Thanks man!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

To get it down to $1000 I would change psu to either the Seasonic G series 550W or the CXM 550W both are cheaper atm and are good quality units. 550W is already enough for this build. Apart from that, the only other possible savings without loosing too much performance would be to cut down on ssd storage.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/DPCwrH/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube