add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Matching vendor items.

Slugnutty

38 months ago

Hello all - thanks for helping me along with my selection and learning process. My next question is related to manufacturers -

Is it wise to match components for the same manufacturer IE: Gigabyte Motherboard and GPU EVGA Motherboard, RAM, PS, GPU Asus, MSI, Corsair, etc...

I do not know enough about any of the manufacturers to make an educated selection (yet) but was wondering if there is any functionality a manufacturer passes from motherboard to GPU if they are the same - Integrated into their dashboards or BIOS settings - or will the (example) the MSI Gaming app for their GPU work just as well with a Gigabyte Motherboard as it will with a MSI motherboard?

With a follow on question, (and man this is NOT meant to start a flame war) I know their are ENTHUSIASTS of specific manufacturers - I get that , I can discuss motorcycles all day long for favorites - but are there motherboards, GPU, PS, RAM (all parts associated with a build) manufactures that are considered better than others? Or does it boil down to personal preference - I like Intel over Killer E2400 network connection , (ore even I like this color over that color) so manufacturers A, B C and D have Intel so pick any of those and you'll be OK.....?

As an example of what is driving my question, I looked at my latest selection of parts, and realized it looked like a Skittles monster puked inside the case, red, blue, brown, white and imagined it unappealing to look at for the next 4 or 5 years so I changed things up to have predominately monochromatic black/white scheme, and now has me wondering if changing a Gigabyte GPU to a ASUS a non issue or do I need to go back to "alike" manufacturers for a better system build and smoother integration in the long run.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $240.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $46.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $193.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $306.07 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card $414.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Carbide Clear 600C ATX Full Tower Case $129.55 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $107.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 165Hz Monitor $799.99 @ Newegg
Other
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2475.50
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $2435.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-06 14:26 EDT-0400

As usual - thanks for your input.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Follow up. One of you keeps sending me messages/mail and all you are saying is WORK one word in the message, and messaging over and over and over.

Am I missing something or is this person just being a fool?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Report them. That kind of message helps no one.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

There isnt really any point matching manufacturers. Just go for whichever component performs best for that price or which component looks the best to you. You could probably go for a cheaper motherboard though if you dont need all the features. Also, you could save a bit of money if you went with a ssd + hdd instead of only a ssd.

Apart from that great build!!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Mr. Wolf. Unmentioned, I have a pair of 3TB WD HDD sitting here un-opend for a project I had for work. We did not use them and the boss said keep em' - so I'll be putting at least one WD 3TB Black in the build.

I really do not KNOW what features I want/need on the motherboard. I chose the Gaming 7 on my initial run through of parts selection and have spent a little time reading about other motherboards, but honestly - not one of them JUMP OUT at me for being better than another.

Suggestions welcome for mother boards that would work well with this - knowing I will only be gaming on it, no video, no streaming, no work.

Games (Division, WarThunder, BattelField1) and games only.

Thanks for the reply.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case I would definitely go for a smaller SSD if you already have a 3TB HDD available. Just keep your most commonly played games and os on there and it wont fill up. A 500GB or 250GB ssd would do the trick plus you could look at a M.2 drive.

To be fair, at this budget the motherboard doesnt seem to bad. It fits your colour scheme and has a lot of features so maybe stick with it.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read and read and read on SATA III vs M.2 Drives and from what I understand - as a strictly gaming PC I would not benefit GREATLY from an m.2 drive - yes it would be faster on boot, but mind blowing fast over all. I just don't get the feeling, nor can I find a definitive review saying YES for your every day use this here M.2 drive will make the angles sing and wish you could sell your oldest sister to replace your SATA III drive and go M.2

May have to do some thinking on the 500gb vs 1tb - but I was working on the principle Mores' better

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube