add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Rob-bot24

38 months ago

Ok so I need some help here. This will be my first full build and I'm trying to stick to roughly a $500 budget. The plan is for this to be a replacement for a MAME machine but also handle some light gaming for my younger kids. At this point the most intense game it would see is minecraft but it won't be long before they start graduating into some more intense titles. That's why I went overboard on the MB. I figure in a year or two I can upgrade the CPU, maybe add an SSD and some extra RAM and the rest of this machine will still keep up. My big question mark and where I need some opinions are on a GPU. Do I go cheap now and replace it later or go with a midrange card and maybe add a second card down the road? I'm worried if I go with a card that's too out dated ill immediately regret it. Let me know what you guys think. Is the rest of my strategy sound or is this whole thing idiotic? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rob-bot24/saved/kBHNGX

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you post the parts list please?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Just did, sorry fingers are slow this morning

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I would recommend not going for an expensive motherboard right now. By the time you need an upgrade to your CPU, it's likely there will be a new generation (or several) released.

The noctua thermal paste is also not needed, the 6100 comes with a stock cooler with thermal paste pre applied.

Memory is also pricey, faster ram has very little difference in gaming, and it's worth spending that money on other components.

You can install windows without an optical drive, so unless you're using it for other stuff you won't need it (Left it in incase you need it)

Going cheap on the GPU is fine, for similar reasons to the motherboard. It will handle minecraft and similar games without a sweat, up to games like Overwatch at around medium. Won't do any AAA games at ultra, but from your post it looks like it will be a while before your kids want to play those kind of games. (And at that point you'll be able to upgrade)

I also managed to fit an SSD onto the list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $110.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $40.88 @ NCIX US
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $110.50 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $20.68 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full 32/64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $512.01
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $502.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-07 05:44 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. When I originally started playing around with this idea I had something similar to your suggestion. I also kicked around a low end amd build. While I'd like to believe that this project will last a while the truth is I'm a born tinkerer. That plus my oldest is already asking about games like Farcry 4 and Doom. I have a hunch I'll be upgrading before next summer as much as I don't want to admit it. It's still very up in the air but I think I'd better leave myself room for improvement over the next 12 months or so.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Like I mentioned you won't be running FC4 and Doom maxed out or anything, but the 460 is still a very nice budget card. It will also be able to run Vulkan on doom, which should give a bit of a boost to fps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube