add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time build. Opinions welcome

M.Hastie

38 months ago

Doing a build for the first time. Budgeted at around what i have already so thats why im going for the amd, my budget also has to include a monitor and keyboard. Will be using it for gaming and day to day tasks. Really not bothered about having a machine that can blast out the most amazing settings. Just as long as it does a pretty good job.

Already have a cpu cooler so not needed here.

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor £83.00

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste £11.02

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard £72.00

Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £74.99

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £40.29

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.43

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card £131.53

Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case £54.98

Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £48.98

Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan £6.98

Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor £103.87

Logitech K120 - UK Layout Wired Standard Keyboard £10.99

Total £681.06

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You are going with amd because you are using parts you have already? But you have to buy the cpu and motherboard? Not a lot of sense going on here. Why do you need to build on that old am3 platform?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Im going with amd because its cheaper basically. This is the first time ive built a pc so new to all of this. I have no idea why, any advice would be grateful.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So you don't own any of the parts yet? That am3 platform is SO old. The motherboards are old, the socket is dead. AMD is moving to am4 and zen at the end of this year. Skylake can be built for similar costs and give you an upgradable platform for a few years to come.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont own any of the parts. I wouldnt even know where to start with skylake.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It's just like building any other pc. Where are you from? See if I can make a parts list for a skylake rig.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Scotland. Much appreciated

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube