add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
madeuvstarstuf

38 months ago

Need ideas for storage drives in a NAS build. It'll be used for movie streaming and file backup mostly. I'd like to use RaidZ2 or any raid where I can lose two drives at once and be okay. What I have in my hands already:

1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600

1x Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor

2x Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L-1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B/CT2CP102472BD160B

1x 650w Power Supply

1x Full Tower Case

1x 16gb USB stick loaded with FreeNAS

I flashed the LSI 2308 chipset to IT mode so that I have 14 SATA ports. It seems that 4tb NAS drives are the sweet spot in pricing but I could be wrong. How many drives and what size? Two pools of seven disks? Two pools of six disks? One pool of eight disks? One pool of six disks? One pool of __ disks? What brand of drive? HGST looks good to me but if I'm going to get quite alot of them and I have redundancy then perhaps a cheaper brand will do fine. Thanks for all the input!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

You've clearly done your homework; that looks like a solid build. You may even have more CPU there than you need, but that will depend on what media services you're running. The traditional concern is over server-side transcoding, but modern media gadgets can already consume either MPEG2 or H.264 directly, so unless you have some ancient Real or DivX files that need to be converted on the fly to something modern, your server will be mostly I/O-bound.

Depending on how much disk you put in and what services you'll have running, you might want to go to 24GiB of RAM.

Your biggest spend, of course, will be on HDDs. Since you're going with RAID-Z2, I would suggest a six-drive vdev. I personally am a fan of HGST Ultrastars, but the "NAS" drives available these days should serve you well. If you want to be super-smooth, buy a seventh drive and keep it aside as a ready replacement if/when one of the active drives dies.

Remember that RAID is not a backup strategy; have a plan in place to back up the NAS. Also consider investing in an uninterruptible power supply.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I meant to indicate that I put in two 16gb kits, making 32gb total =)

Say I wanted to get the most out of maximum storage without running out of ram. Would you say two six-drive vdev's, 4tb drives?

Ultrastars = awesome, they have double the MTBF. Would you go 7K4000 over their NAS drives? Similarly priced while 7K6000 is pricey I think.

Thank you ewhac. =]

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I meant to indicate that I put in two 16gb kits, making 32gb total =)

Ah, well then you're in splendid shape.

Say I wanted to get the most out of maximum storage without running out of ram. Would you say two six-drive vdev's, 4tb drives?

Yes, for RAID-Z2, I would go with six-drive vdevs -- two drives for parity, four drives for data, because four will divide power-of-two block sizes very efficiently.

Ultrastars = awesome, they have double the MTBF. Would you go 7K4000 over their NAS drives? Similarly priced [ ... ]

If you can get 7K4000s for a price you're comfortable with, I'd go with those. Not only do they quote double the MTBF, but also one-tenth the rate of unrecoverable read errors (1 in 1015 bits, versus 1 in 1014 bits).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube