add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time PC build- HIgh-end gaming PC

nic8good

38 months ago

HI all,

I've finally decided to build a gaming PC as it feels like the right time to make the jump from console gaming to PC gaming. I have found this site and the forums incredibly useful for preparing the build and I was hoping you could give me some feedback as to what i have planned so far.

My current plan is to build this PC: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mqkdqk

Any thoughts and advice would be great (Although I doubt i'm as tech savvy as the rest of you so please try to keep it simple).

Also in regard to building the PC: 1) Do I need a full screwdriver set or is there one model that would work? 2) Other than the anti-static wristband and screwdriver are there any other tools i should get? 3) Are there any other tips that a first time builder should know?

Thank you.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You do not need an i7 if this is purely for gaming. An i5 6600k will serve just fine for high end gaming. Also you will need a monitor or Rv with this PC. If you already have one could you please tel me the name of it. If it is only a 1080p screen then this build is simply overkill and you could get away with a lot cheaper one.

A simple tip of building a PC is when you tighten screws, tighten them diagonally.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I currently only have a 1080p TV but i intend to upgrade that and get a 4k monitor as soon as I can after building the PC (any recommendations?). I had heard that i5's are good enough for gaming but considering the overall cost of the PC I don't mind spending a little extra on the i7 (plus won't the i7 be more 'futureproof'?).

Thanks

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want better future proofing you may as well wait for Intel or AMD's new CPUs that should be coming out at the end of this year or start of next year

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was thinking that when I read about the upcoming release, but I'm too impatient and i figured that the 6700k is the best current option (and will last longer than the 6600k) .

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube