add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SailorJerry_

38 months ago

Good Afternoon all,

The build is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3sYg3F

Any questions, comments, or concerns, just let me know! Thanks for viewing!

So far I have been told I need a new CPU Cooler, (which I knew would now allow a case fan to fit in the HAF XB), does anyone have any recommendations? I know the h100i v2 is great, but for me it is too loud so I was trying to get away from it. However, I do agree that it has terrific performance.

Is my PSU going to work with this? Its a 750, and everything I added up power wise didn't pull that much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The PSU isn't good. The CPU cooler is awful for its price. The black HDD is of awful value. You definetly could get faster RAM for cheaper. The Evo 850 isn't of good value. The case is meh. You really don't need a fan controller. Just cancel the whole order to save yourself a headache of having to return items, not sure why you chose to get advice after ordering instead of before. What is this build for?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Vagabond, what is bad about the PSU? Which CPU do you recommend? The black HDD is of awful value, what exactly does that mean? The prices listed up here are not necessarily what I paid. Just what PC part picker has them listed for. The case is something I saw all over the internet great for Lan parties and I personally like the design for the desk setup that I am using. I will be using it for Lan parties at a buddies house, and for everyday gaming and the usual browsing. The fan controller was just because I thought it was pretty neat, but I can see what you are saying by it not being necessary. I actually didn't know there were forums on this website. I found out about it a few days ago and was looking at the parts, then saw they had a forum for new parts list recommendations today. Thank you for the reply! Hope my questions make sense.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

what is bad about the PSU?

Its group regulated, average performance, and its price is too high and competes with units way out of its league. I just saw you changed your PSU or I didn't notice and if you have the G2 its fine and is a great unit, if its the G1 what I said above applies to it.

The black HDD is of awful value, what exactly does that mean?

You can get a HDD that is a lot cheaper and gets just about the same real world performance.

The black HDD is of awful value, what exactly does that mean?

The motherboard has options to allow for fan controlling in the bios and its fairly decent.

For gaming 32GB is a huge waste, 8GB is enough for all games currently and 16GB of RAM is considering overkill. Your build will be obsolete and super slow before 32GB is needed. Also you could likely save some money by getting a i5 6600K. Also that case isn't exactly small since its about the same size as a Corsair 540. Ff you want something easily portable you should go ITX or micro atx. I would just cancel the whole order to save yourself the headache.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $159.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.73 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card $629.89 @ OutletPC
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case $63.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1587.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-08 23:27 EDT-0400

It has a ITX case which is much better for portablity. It has a much better CPU cooler which is the best HSF out there and is on par with high end 240MM AIO coolers. It has a bigger SSD and HDD. It has a GTX 1080 since you can't use two GTX 1070's with a ITX build and a single card is usually a better choice than two weaker cards. I also saved a ton of money.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally would've gone with a different CPU Cooler like the H7 or if I was going AIO an H110i v2.

I also would've gotten a bigger SSD and gotten rid of the 32GB of RAM. 16GB is good for almost anything (unless you're doing intense video editing and rendering, then 32GB is fine). 32GB for gaming and regular use is waaaaay insane overkill/sort of a waste of money.

Also, your NEX PSU uses old capacitors and the G2 series is much, much better and uses newer parts.

Otherwise- looks good!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, First off, thanks for the reply! I am still new to all this, so I will take all the help I can get. I actually have the H110i v2 on the comp I have now, which works perfectly, however, for some reason mine is incredibly loud. Do you recommend getting a second SSD since I have already ordered this one or returning the one I have and replacing with something larger?

As far as the PSU you are correct!! I ordered this one off amazon. I chose the wrong one on the list of parts, my apologies. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKDETOW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been having second thoughts on that particular CPU cooler since I ordered it simply because it takes away from my ability to use a case fan in the HAF case. Do you think I should do the same with that as the SSD?

Thank you again!!!

Sailor Jerry

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would just get another SSD. It doesn't necessarily have to be now either- just whenever your current one gets full (or close to full) in the future.

On your H100i v2, is it the pump that's being loud or the stock fans? I've heard the SP stock fans from Corsair are pretty loud.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Great, and I think its the fans. But yes, I can vouch for them being loud, the drone sometime loud enough that I turn my PC off at night because it's rather annoying.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it's probably the fans then. Phanteks fans are really good and quiet, from what I've found.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, great. I am selling the comp that the pump is installed on to my buddy. I'll let him know. Do you have any other recommendations for the build? Anything particular CPU Cooler wise? I know you had said h7, but I'm not really familiar with what that is. I googled it and it came back with Cryorig;Or do you recommend doing the CLLC H100i v2 and just switching the fans? Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube