add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
newlinpart

38 months ago

Hello all,

I am working on latest build which will have 5820k with 32 GB ram. I've added ssd for os and other related items.

Right now, i have to decide on video card.

My budget is limited to rx 480 and gtx 1060. Possible candidates are;

• MSI GAMING X Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Asus ROG STRIX Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • MSI GAMING X Amd Radeon RX 480 8GB OC 256Bit
  • Asus ROG STRIX Amd Radeon RX 480 8GB OC 256Bit

Which one would be future proof ? From what i've read about the tests about these cards, performance is close, costs are nearly same, rx 480 is alittle hot/noisy.

There are several details about dx 12, special capabilites of rx 480 or something like that.

Anyway, i need recommendations. Because it is very confusing for me. My future plan will be adding same card as sli to be able to upgrade my graphic performace with lowcost.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Choose the one you like... I personally like the RX 480. They are all really the same in all categories (in gaming).

Also, if you want dual GPU setup you have to go RX 480. 1060 doesn't have SLI.

Or, sell that RX 480 when you are ready and get a gtx 1070 or 1080, because the prices will drop like flies once the next series GPU's come out. For example, the GTX 970 is 100 dollars on ebay from most sellers.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much for your response.

I've created a simple comparison table at https://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/1968730/geen_username/graphics-cards-comparison-table-1

It seems, as you said, they are similiar. I am afraid of future updates, compability and so on. If it will be same, i will buy one of them easily.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I edited the comment... did you read the edits?

1060 doesn't have SLI... so bummer if you want a dual-gpu setup.

Just get the STRIX RX 480 (in my opinion)... I think it is really cool.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, i've read them recently.

It's important for me. I thought, i will add anothe card to upgrade my video card performance. Like you said, those cards will be cheap. I will add, in this example, one more strix rx 480.

What do you think about dual gpu approach ? Instead of investing latest cards which will expensive and it wont be easy to sell an old card ...

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't be easy to sell an old card? People still sell 750ti's.

The retail price for that STRIX RX 480 will probably only go down to 240 dollars when the next generation of GPU's come out.

If you have 240 dollars, you can buy a gtx 980 EVGA CLASSIFIED:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-4GB-CLASSIFIED-GAMING-ACX-2-0-26-Cooler-and-36-Quieter-/322284796232?hash=item4b09abb948:g:OBkAAOSw-CpX9m2N

Likely the same thing will apply to the gtx 1080 when the next line of GPU's come out. You will likely be able to afford one.

You live in the U.K. I presume, but I think the market conditions will be the same.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, i wont be working on heavy video processing or animation.

My intention to select future proof product.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, i can not even notice 5-10 fps difference. It seems i need to select low noise, affordable one :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube