add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building Gaming PC Opinion

peterk7

38 months ago

Hi, I just moved to Canada and have been playing on my Laptop for the last 4 years. It is pretty worn out and I decided to buy a new PC. After browsing non stop new laptops, I taught why not build a desktop and compare. Desktop is way more powerful anyway and I have a work laptop for mobility. So I would like to hear advice from you about my build.

SO, here is the breakdown: Needs - 1. Budget = +- 2000 CAD, including monitor 2300 CAD, flexible (after taxes 13%). 2. Liability - I want it for long time, unlike my current laptop who died after 2 years and I milked it for 2 more. 3. Gaming - Not top end but 60 FPS (MAX, dont need more), and pretty good graphics on current games and games to come. (The Witcher 3, GTA V, Mafia 3 etc ...) 4. Probably will be used for work, programming and remote connecting (to and from).

I do not see the need of looks of the components, if they work good and fast then I dont care how does it look. It will stay under the table on the floor in the basement, and probably no one will see it. Also the components must be liable. For mobility, I have a work laptop, dell Latitude E7440 which covers my needs in work + programming + university.

As for monitor, I have an old DELL one 21". Suggestion on what to change it for will help :)

Already have: Keyboar, Mouse, Old Monitor, external 1TB HD, Speakers

Here is the build I got, any advice is welcome (good build, change X or anything else): PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $346.62 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $67.78 @ NCIX
Motherboard Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $185.66 @ Vuugo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $124.28 @ Newegg Canada
Storage SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $124.28 @ Memory Express
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $657.98 @ NCIX
Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $79.24 @ DirectCanada
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $118.63 @ Memory Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1744.47
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1704.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 18:59 EDT-0400

Still deciding between i5-6600K and i7-6700K ...

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. If you're wanting this to just be a gaming desktop, the i5 6600/6600k will be the better choice for you. i7 does nothing for gaming that the i5 doesn't already do. The extra CPU threads in the i7 would be for things like encoding/rendering, etc.

2. If you're going to overclock, I suggest going for the Corsair H100i v2 or the NZXT Kraken X61. If you're not overclocking, go with an H170 mobo instead get a regular, not a k processor :)

3. The EVGA Supernova G2 550W PSU is a better choice.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply, 1. The only think better in i7 is multi thread as I read on some forums, and some games starting to use it to their advantage. This is the only reason I choose i7 instead of i5. However The price difference does play a bigger role here, so if the difference is not that big without overclocking then it sounds like i5 is the choice.

1. As for overclocking, I do no see myself overclocking the cpu in the near future, as fun as it may sound. There fore I less prefer liquid cooling.

2. I fits more closely to my power consumption and also fully modular. But costs more. Can you explain a bit more why is it a better choice?

Thank you :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated my build, sdd took from mark5916 suggestion.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As I replied to montiago, Can you explain why the PSU is better? As for i7 vs i5 ... I really cant decide which one will fit me better. The price of the i5 applies to me more actually :) I probably will not overclock, but I want the games to run with good FPS.

Also, if not overclocking, is it better to get the 6600 instead of 6600K ?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

To continue our thread and his:

The difference between the i5 6600 and i5 6600k is that the k version allows you to overclock. So if you don't plan on overclocking, get a regular i5 6600. The same thing applies to the i7 6700 and 6700k processors. The Z170 mobo will allow you to overclock, while the H170 will not.

An EVGA Supernova G2 PSU is a better quality PSU, hence why it's more expensive. It's worth it to put more into a great PSU rather than a crappy one. It's smaller, but more expensive, but think of it this way: One diamond is better than two rubies.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Of course, it's always nice to have a k processor and a Z170 mobo in the event that overclocking ever comes across your mind in the future. I have 0 plans to dive into OCing now, but I know that with what I have, if the though every crosses my mind, I won't need to cough up more dinero.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I see your point. I took the suggestion of the PSU, as you see in the updated build. As for CPU and mobo, I know myself that in some time I will start overclocking the CPU so I will go with the K version with a compatible mobo :)

As for i5 vs i7, they are very close one to another in their power. And I do not want super graphics with ultra fps and all that. Just enough for me to play comfortably. Add the cost difference and I think I will go with the i5.

Thank you very much, your help is very appreciated! :) Is there anything else I should consider?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope, everything else looks good! Looks like mark took out one of the SSDs. I'd say go with his configuration and you should have a pleasurable gaming experience :)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

+1

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube