add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help building a Photoshop/Movie Editing PC

Ven9eance

38 months ago

Hey guys, I want to build a PC for my wife so she can use it for basic Photoshop editing and some light Adobe Premiere Pro movie editing. She has a fashion blog where she needs to use Photoshop to do some light edits to her photos before she posts them. Also the movie editing will be with Adobe Premiere Pro which is for some short YouTube videos.

I have done hours of research on my own and have come up with an idea build for her, but would love some expert advice. I was trying to build this PC for around $1000, as she does not need the best of the best. Just something nice and solid to get the job done with a smooth experience while editing. Thanks for the help.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nTwY9W

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Same budget, better performance :D

GPU is not required as consumer intel cpus all have a built in gpu component which is perfectly fine for non-gaming tasks (ok for low level/rez gaming too iirc).

Extra cooler is not required as the 6700 is not overclockable so the supplied cooler is perfectly fine.

No gpu also means lower power draw so you can use a lower watt psu, this seasonic might be a few years old now but it's prolly still one of, if not the, best low watt options available.

850 evo does not have good value imo, slightly larger capacity for a slightly cheaper price is available for basically no real world loading speed loss.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $397.75 @ Vuugo
Motherboard ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $79.98 @ NCIX
Memory Patriot 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case $94.50 @ Vuugo
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg Canada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit -
Monitor BenQ GW2760HS 27.0" 60Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1072.19
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1042.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-11 13:42 EDT-0400

As an alternative you can fit the same basic build into a little teeny tiny mitx case, small is cute, right? :D

Small mobo only has 2 ram slots so swapped to 1x 16gig ram stick so you still have an upgrade option in the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $397.75 @ Vuugo
Motherboard ASRock B150M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $102.50 @ Vuugo
Memory Kingston FURY 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case Lian-Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX Tower Case $74.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg Canada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit -
Monitor BenQ GW2760HS 27.0" 60Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1075.20
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1055.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-11 13:51 EDT-0400

You can shave some bucks off either build with cheaper mobos but I didn't wanna go straight to the bottom of the barrel :D

edit. oh I don't think 27" 1080p monitors are generally recommended for usual desktop viewing distance of 1-2ft, might look a little fuzzy... Could be ok if she sits a little back tho?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! Definitely going to switch out the samsung SSD for the less expensive Crucial you recommend. I'm not sure if Photoshop editing requires a decent GPU, after my research I've read some people say you do need one, and others say you don't. Also going to downsize the monitor a little bit and switch to an IPS monitor as those are great for PS.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

NP man :D

Good move on the ips monitor, I forgot to check that :)

Sorry I've never used PS so I've no idea a gpu can help or not.

If you don't to go the i7 route you should definitely still switch to an intel build, current amd cpus (fx range) are basically obsolete already as their next gen range (architecture codename zen) is known to be launching end of this year/early next & is not compatible with the am3+ mobos. An i5 & gpu would be my recommendation in that case.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As per a post from Mark5916 in a different thread these PS features can be accelerated with a gpu -

Artboards
Camera Raw (see note)
3D
Scrubby Zoom
Birds Eye View
Flick Panning
Smooth Brush Resizing
Image Size – Preserve Details
Select Focus
Blur Gallery - Field Blur, Iris Blur, Tilt-Shift, Path Blur, Spin Blur (OpenCL accelerated)
Smart Sharpen (Noise Reduction – OpenCL accelerated)
Oil Paint (OpenCL accelerated)
Render – Flame, Picture Frame, and Tree
Perspective Warp

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet thanks for the info. I've revised the build to Intel, but with an i5-6400 to save some money as it's quite a big price diff from the i7-6700. I think it would be more than enough for the Ps work she would be doing? http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/rK4NnQ/intel-cpu-bx80662i56400

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it should be fine, I was reading around last night and a guy on a digital photography forum was saying that there's actually no perceptible difference between an i5 and an i3, tho as per some other benchmarks I was looking at there will prolly be a few seconds between the 2.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube