add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would this work? (gpu upgrade)

Robin_Andersson11

38 months ago

Hi, I've got a prebuilt lenovo pc and I wanted to upgrade the gpu. I wanted to upgrade to this one (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINI-GTX950-2G/) since then I wouldn't have to upgrade the psu aswell. Would there be any problems with the power? It needs 75w witch my mobo supports, I already have a dedicated gpu installed. Any other problems?

Thanks for you help and sorry for bad english :)

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

if you have at least 350W power supply and a 6 (or 4 + 2) pin PCIe connector, the card is more than likely to fit into your case. Of course, you should remove the already existing card.

However, would you have a really old PC, the GPU could be bottlenecked by other components (e.g.: CPU or RAM).

I agree with TheTower: List your existing build so we can have a better understanding of what the best solution could be.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • PSU: 280w
  • GPU: Some low end amd card
  • CPU: i5 4460
  • RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600hz
  • MOBO: Some weird 16pin connector one (I'll come back with the model name, I've got it on my old phone)
  • HDD: 1TB
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You could get a 350w psu and a new gpu

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem is that the mobo hasn't got the regular 24-pin connector

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, we have these strange motherboards at work. Maybe I'll have a look around and see what kind of PSU we have there...

But yeah, you would need a new PSU for the GPU upgrade. The CPU and RAM are good enough.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

if you have at least 350W power supply and a 6 (or 4 + 2) pin PCIe connector, the card is more than likely to fit into your case.

It hasen't got any PCIe connector but the card only needs power from the mobo.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

the card only needs power from the mobo.

Look at the official ASUS website of the GTX950-M-2GD5.

Scroll to "Small Form Factor for ITX Builds" section on the Overview. It seems to me, it has a 6 pin PCIe connector.

Go to specification and find the following:

Power Consumption: up to 150W, 1 additional 6 pin PCIe power required

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, linked the wrong one apparently. https://www.komplett.se/product/888120/datorutrustning/grafikkort/pci-express/asus-geforce-gtx950-mini-2gb#technical-details Sorry, thought they were the same.

(It's in Swedish but it says. Power consumption: 75w and that it doesn't need any external power)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I've fund it on ASUS' website: http://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/MINI-GTX950-2G/

It's available in the UK, but not in Sweden and USA. I didn't know these websites list different products and not just change language...

Anyway, if you can get the card, it indeed does not require the PCIe power connector. :)

However, I'm not sure if you have enough juice in your PSU. If your current GPU takes up 75W or more, you should be OK, otherwise, I'm not sure. You might need to buy a new PSU as well.

You can buy the card, try it in your machine if you really want to risk system instability. If the system gets unstable, get a new PSU with higher wattage.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Could it be damaged by having to little wattage?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • PSU: 280w
  • GPU: Some low end amd card
  • CPU: i5 4460
  • RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600hz
  • MOBO: Some weird 16pin connector one (I'll come back with the model name, I've got it on my old phone)
  • HDD: 1TB

edit* the case has enough size

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube