add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Silent and Elegant Gaming/Dev Build

duopcbuild

38 months ago

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Hey guys, the main point of this build is to have a sleek looking but extremely silent build to take the place of a laptop packing a GTX 1070 that I got recently (XMG P507). Apart from the bleed on it's IPS screen, the fan noise during load I found to be rather annoying.

I'd like to max out on current gen games at 1080p 60fps but apart from that I'd also like it to be the computer I remote into from the office to run automated tests via multiple VMs. All while maintaining a low noise profile. I don't mind thermals so much, since winter is coming it could even double as a heater! Just has to be quiet enough.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

Whatever is enough? I honestly don't have one. Just being realistic to my usage. A single GPU, i5-6600k system is most likely more than enough for me.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

Ireland. UK only stores are no problem as there are forward shipping companies that do this for cheap.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £213.34 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £39.99 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £127.43 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £77.99 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £281.99 @ Novatech
Video Card Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Video Card £559.92 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case £80.70 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £89.99 @ Amazon UK
Sound Card Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card £50.41 @ BT Shop
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1521.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-11 17:00 BST+0100

Provide any additional details you wish below.

Two things I'd like to pick on:

• CPU: I could probably push it to 4.5Ghz stable, but would OC = more cooling needed = more noise? If so I could probably just go for the non unlocked version and keep it at stock? Then again, they both (6600 and 6600k) cost the same price.
  • GPU: Granted I have no budget, I'd still like to keep costs low. Is the performance increase of the 1080 over 1070 really worth the extra 50% of the 1070's price? And what about noise?
  • Sound Card: The main reason I went for the laptop I have now is due to the DAC in it by Sabre. Capable of driving high impedance headphones up to 600 Ohms, I'm not sure how this would work out or what to even go for in order to achieve similar experience I have with the laptop.
  • Silence: If there are quieter alternatives to any of the parts here, I'd love to know

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

CPU

You said you'd run multiple virtual machines on this PC (from remote). In this case, I would really suggest getting an i7 instead of the i5 as hyper-threading can give you better performance especially when multiple VMs are involved.

Yes, overclocking to high speed with higher (than default) voltage requires more cooling which effectively leads to more noise. However, you can do a safe overclocking, that is raise the frequency multiplier only until you need to raise the voltage as well to keep stability.

GPU

GTX 1070 shall max out any games on 1080p, still allow you high-ultra gaming on 1440p, but could not keep up with high-quality gaming in 4K. For that, even a single GTX 1080 might not be sufficient all the time.

You may invest into a GTX 1080 for long-time plans. :)

RAM

16 GB is more than what you need for gaming, and depending on your workload, it shall be enough for your VMs. I changed it from a single module to 2 x 8 GB module to utilize Dual Channel Memory Mode and it's also a bit cheaper.

Motherboard

I switched to the ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING as it offers better sound quality among others and is only marginally more expensive. You shouldn't even need the sound card now.

Storage

I've got your a circa 1 TB capacity SSD with similar read/write performance but much cheaper.

You might want to consider a large HDD if you have lots of data. Archiving is optimal on HDD as the storage space is much cheaper on it than on SSD drives and read/write speeds are usually not a concern for such purposes.

PSU

That PSU is good enough for you, but if you'd consider getting a 2nd GPU for SLI, I'd get a 750 W version of the PSU (at least).

Case

The case has a good noise reduction, it's a good choice.

So here are the changes I made:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £308.28 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £39.99 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £129.99 @ Ebuyer
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £75.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Patriot Torch LE 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £179.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Video Card £559.92 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case £80.70 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £89.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1464.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-12 14:47 BST+0100
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for taking the time to look through this!

I'm still trying to decide if I will sell my current GTX 1070 laptop for this PC + ultrabook/convertible or stick with my machine and build something similar but with Kaby Lake offerings. Oh choices.

That's great, shaving a good bit off the SSD pricing. Build looks great, especially the one with the motherboard. Up to 300 Ohms, should be more than sufficient for a good pair of cans. Are there better cases out there like the Corsair Air 450?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would wait until Kaby Lake is released.

I think either case are of good quality. Most of the time it's about brand preference, as both Fractal Design and Corsair are good brands. :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the very detailed recommendation, I'll keep an eye on these parts and whatever recommendations and grab them whenever they go on sale till Kaby Lake pops up.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers for that. What's a 10/10 CPU?

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry I was walking while I typed that lol. What score are you referring to? The PPP one or another review site?

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, I like my cable management and that's just no. Thanks for pointing that out!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube