add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X vs Z?

breadslice

38 months ago

Just wondering... what is the difference between these two cards:

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z?

The Z seems better, but the price is identical? Why wouldn't I pick a Z if I went with MSI?

Thanks

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The Gaming Z is the flagship card of MSI for the 1080s.

It features additional power phases, improved core clock speeds and a nice RGB MSI dragon logo on its backplate. It is cool and quiet and looks really good in a case with a sidewidow that lets the MSI Dragon peak through.

Note however that like all other Pascval based GPU, its is a rather poor overclocker though since Pascal GPUs seem to already run at pretty much maximum efficiency already.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks :) So, am I better to go for the 1070 Gaming X and overclock or go for the 1070 Gaming Z, in your opinion?

Also, my case won't show the cool lights on the Gaming Z so maybe I should just think about the X?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The difference in performance between the 2 is negligeable. Sure the Z is ahead but only by a few frame.

THe X is just as bad for overclocking, its not the MSI card its just the Pascal generation of GPUs that are being delivered seem to run at near 100% efficiency by default.

I guess this makes less OCing RMA for flagship partner cards?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This is pretty much it. Also, I think that the Z cards are cherry-picked a bit more than the X cards.

Overall, both cards are great but the Z is built to a higher standard. If the two are the same price, then it's a no-brainer that the Z is the one to go with.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube