add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I need a OS recommendation

grengrupgod
  • 44 months ago

I'm got a sweet partlist from some guy on the other section and I just need a OS and I'll be all set. What do you guys recommend?

Linux or Windows?

I'm a beginner to this stuff it's going to be my first build and I'm familiar with windows, but at the same time a CD key is not in my budget since prices change on G2A daily. I heard that Linux Distros are free since it's open source but it'll be my first Linux OS. I want to know if it's easy to use it such as install browsers. The only thing is though I heard not all games support it meanwhile Windows has an abundance of games that support it.

So pick a side and vote!

Reply with L or Reply with W on which one you think I should go with and with proper reasoning.

(e.g. W - You should go with W because yada yada yada or L - You should go with L because yada yada yada)

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 4 points

The keys on G2A aren't legit and would be basically like paying to pirate. You can always just not activate it.

If you are wanting to game Windows.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

This.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

If you need a basic pc, Linux. If you play games or need specific software for work or shool, Windows.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you doing with the PC? elvenson has a pretty good general suggestion.

It's super easy to install web browsers (and almost anything else for that matter) in linux. For example, if you want Firefox (and for some strange reason it wasn't preinstalled in the distro) you would just open terminal and "$ sudo apt-get install firefox" (Ubuntu type distros) as long as you have an internet connection. Chrome isn't open source so you would have to either either need to build the key and add the repository before installing or you could just download it from https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html the same as windows. Finally, some software is actually better supported on Linux than Windows (especially science type software).

If you're trying to play AAA games, you'll need windows. I wouldn't wish the learning curve of getting Wine and PoL to work for multiple games on my worst enemy.

If you can't afford windows, you'll need to play with the hand you've been dealt. If you need help learning or deciding which distro to use, there are quite a few people here that are usually willing to help.

• 44 months ago
  • 3 points

"Ubuntu type distros" you mean Debian type distros :P

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha true, I tend to only reference Ubuntu when talking to people inexperienced with linux because anything else usually just rewards me with confused looks.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

so that's a no to battlefield, but would cs:go and overwatch be considered triple a and not playable on linux? I also might play a little bit of roblox depends on what mood i'm in

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

CS:GO is available in linux, Overwatch is not. It really depends on how the game company likes linux, Valve for example has been great to the linux community, Bathsheba and Blizzard have not.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

is this one better or worse than kirbylake?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Battlefield, Overwatch, and Roblox can't be played natively on linux. I'm pretty sure Roblox has "usable" Wine builds, but I wouldn't suggest attempting it to someone who is new to linux.

CS:GO is available on linux and performs quite well.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Linux is strange, I love it :)

https://youtu.be/xPbAXKMCDkY

I would be more helpful, but I have a headache

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube