add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
mrdanielsir

38 months ago

This is my first time building a pc. I want something that isn't overly difficult to put together, in terms of space and cable management, something that can run games at 1440p, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. If you think I could achieve this on a lower budget, I'd love to know! I am aware that I could possibly go lower with the processor, but I am planning on playing lots of strategy games, and Civ 5/ 6 which are very processor hungry. I will also be casually editing DSLR RAW files.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rD6Npb

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good, budget monitor? I'd like at least 27 inch 1440p for the space. Faster refresh rate would be nice, but not totally necessary. As cheap as possible without being total rubbish.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

This looks pretty good to me! Just keep an eye on the temps once you have the computer up and running for a little bit to see if you need additional case fans but everything here looks really good! the 1070 should do okay for 1440p gaming, a year or two from now it might struggle a little bit to handle things on max settings but it is a very capable card

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! Is it normal to add extra case fans? This case includes one, right? The cooler I chose seemed like a bit of a random choice, would I be better off going with something more established, like the Coolermaster 212?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

It really depends on the situation for adding more case fans. The only issue with the fans that they give you is that they are probably set to exhaust out of the back and that would create negative air pressure inside of te case and might make it dustier on the inside and there might not be enough airflow to keep the whole computer if you are over clocking. Check out these videos for more info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6F2eccMec

The H7 is a killer cooler and way better looking that the 212 IMO, i would stick with the cryorig h7

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, very informative!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £213.34 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £39.99 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £91.31 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £62.99 @ Novatech
Storage Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £61.98 @ Ebuyer
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Video Card £559.92 @ Amazon UK
Case Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case £32.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £70.97 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit £84.98 @ Novatech
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter £12.89 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Asus PB258Q 25.0" 60Hz Monitor £254.95 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1529.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-12 11:40 BST+0100

GTX1080 is recommended for gaming at 1440p

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? Looking at benchmarks, it seems that the 1070 manages 60fps without difficulty

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

At 1440p Here is how GTX1070 performs. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/ Look at Crysis 3, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Black ops 3, Witcher 3, Hitman, Anno 2205 these many games are not giving 60fps at ultra settings. If this is the case now then it will possibly become worse in coming time. |GTX1060 is for less than 1080p |GTX1070 is for 1080p |GTX1080 is for 1440p |TITAN X PASCAL or GTX1080 SLI is for 2160p

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't download music/films, so it would just be games and photos. I thought I'd add the extra storage as needed. Important to keep the initial price as low as possible, to sell my wife on the idea xD

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Easily overlooked.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube