add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NH-D15 vs Phanteks PH-TC14PE Black

darkchief1

39 months ago

I think my Nepton 280L pump is going bad so I will send it in to get checked, but regardless I think I want to go back to air. I want to go with a black, white and blue theme, and I was thinking about getting the Noctua because it is the best air cooler on the market, but the colouring gets in the way of the theme. I was considering painting the Noctua but I could ruin it or harm the cooling performance of it. How is the Phanteks performance vs Noctuas, and the ram compatibility. I have a 4x4 kit of GSkill Ripjaws Z, which is rather tall ram. Which cooler has the best clearance and performance? I am considering adding a third fan to the dual tower that I choose, depending on performance and price of the extra fan.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Phanteks, though I'm not sure about the RAM clearance. The D15 isn't the best you can get any more.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh is it not? What is the best? By the looks of it it seems like Phanteks may have slightly better clearance.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I would say the Dark Rock Pro 3, performs within 2c but can be 3-5db quieter on average.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Considered the DRP 3, but I am not the biggest fan of the massive black aluminium top on it. Its a shame because it is 30 dollars cheaper than the Phanteks in my country.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for the Phanteks then.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Think I will. Thanks.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I see you've pretty much decided on the Phanteks, but just for future in case you're interested, you could swap the fans on the Noctua for their redux line, which are gray/black. Of course it will set you back in cost a bit, but it is something good to know so you're not stuck with the brown/tan on Noctua products.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have the Industrial 2k RPM fans on the Nepton now so I could reuse them but I don't think it would look as good. The Phanteks is 106 NZD on newegg at the moment, so I think I will buy it either today or tomorrow, along with another HDD.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha, well you can't go wrong with Phanteks, I'm still bouncing back and forth between that and the Noctua for my upcoming build. May come down to what's available and on sale at the time.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Phanteks is on sale now for 106 but I just checked the Noctua and it is 109, so it for me is now down to looks I guess haha.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The Scythe Fuma is actually the best HSF on the market currently.

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

The Scythe Fuma has black and grey fans unlike the D15 so its not a eye sore to your color scheme. Painting the whole cooler can mess with the performance but if you just paint the top which is what is mostly viable its will be fine with no performance hit just don't half *** painting it. The Fuma out performs the D15 which out performs the Phantek cooler. The Fuma front fan can be raised up for tall RAM. With the Phantek cooler the heatsink hangs over the RAM slot so you will want to make sure the RAM can fit under it. So the Fuma wins for clearance, performance, and price.

If you aren't in the US or aren't where it slot the D15 would win in performance and it has better clearance since the heatsink is modified somewhat to allow for tall RAM in the front and you can just raise the fan up if you need to. So it really would come down to performance and clearance vs. looks.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I have some pics in my build (3rd "page") showing ram clearance, I have Ripjaws X Series which is 40mm the TC14PE definitely overhangs two of the Slots. According to the G.Skill web site the Trident Z are 44mm and I think they would fit you would just need to bump up the front 140mm fan.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow thats just what I was looking for! Nice build btw! Thanks for providing me with some solid images to see what I will have as a result should I get the Phanteks.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem happy to help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube