add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestions on this setup? (Never built a pc before!)

MarBar123

38 months ago

Hello everyone,

I need opinions and suggestions on the system I am planning. I have used macs my whole life but atm I need a GPU-strong rendermachine for 3D-Animations and this is going to be the first pc I build and use. Actually its a MINI-ITX. I have little knowledge over the single parts and stuff, everything I know about it I have learned the last few days while searching the internet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor €342.84 @ Mindfactory
Motherboard ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard €78.42 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory €89.96 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €100.84 @ Mindfactory
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card €528.86 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case €71.10 @ Amazon Deutschland
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -
Monitor Dell U2415 24.1" 60Hz Monitor -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €1212.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-12 16:31 CEST+0200

As I've never built a pc before, I have no idea about cooling and stuff. But as I'll use this as a rendermachine (mainly GPU rendering) I'll definitely overclock the GPU and maybe the CPU. So I pretty much need suggestions on how to cool the whole system, especially the GPU. I dont want to overheat at all costs! Also I dont know if the Founders Edition of the GTX 1070 is the right choice, it only has one fan and in the build its going to be right next to the PSU. What kind of GTX 1070 8GB do you guys recommend? Last but not least, I have no idea about motherboards. Is the one I chose fitting? The only really important thing is WIFI and compatibility with the other parts.

One last thing. The official website of the case states this: "Graphics cards up to 315mm in length with front fans mounted (Cards wider than the dual slot bracket are not recommended)" The GTX 1070 Founders Edition is 345.44mm, but I dont know what "front fan mounted" means so I'm not sure, will it fit in or not?

Thanks a lot in advance, I really need your support guys!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

First and most glaring issue is the motherboard CPU combo. No point buying a basic motherboard and an unlocked CPU, especially since you want to overclock. You need a Z170 motherboard in order to do that. What's your overall budget? Are you concerned with appearance of the PC?

Assuming the budget is around what you originally listed, I threw in a Z series mobo, a very capable cooler (if not great looking) and tweaked a few other things.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor €342.84 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler €71.32 @ Amazon Deutschland
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard €144.75 @ Mindfactory
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory €86.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €71.89 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card €434.85 @ Mindfactory
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case €71.10 @ Amazon Deutschland
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €92.78 @ Mindfactory
Total €1316.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-12 17:08 CEST+0200
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty, let's get to it

I'll definitely overclock the GPU and maybe the CPU

In order to overclock (OC) your CPU you need a motherboard that is capable and compatible with it. It's chipset should be Z170, the Z means it is able to overclock your CPU as well as some other features. You are getting an i7 6700 K which means you can overclock your CPU and it would largely be a waste not to

So I pretty much need suggestions on how to cool the whole system, especially the GPU.

First off, you need something to cool your CPU, the K series of CPUs don't come with a cooler, most people recommend something like the CRYORIG H7 for starters.

Your GPU is a little harder to explain, but I'll try my best. The Founder's Edition (or Reference) uses a blower style fan, it exhausts the air directly out the backside of the card and into the room, only problems are they're loud and still fairly hot.

The other type is open air it uses multiple fans to remove heat from the card and expel it into the case where the fans have to deal with the hot air. Generally, open air is cooler and quieter, but that is only when they have case airflow to effectively remove the heat.

The last option is an AIO (all in one, also a type of CPU cooler) it uses a radiator and liquid cooling to bring the heat to the radiator that is removed by the fans into the room, it's mostly unrecommended because it's more expensive and can leak (leaking is rare though) and takes up more space

What kind of GTX 1070 8GB do you guys recommend?

What I recommend From an excellent brand, pretty good quality, fits into the case

Last but not least, I have no idea about motherboards. Is the one I chose fitting? The only really important thing is WIFI and compatibility with the other parts.

Here is a more fitting one

"Graphics cards up to 315mm in length with front fans mounted (Cards wider than the dual slot bracket are not recommended)" The GTX 1070 Founders Edition is 345.44mm, but I dont know what "front fan mounted" means so I'm not sure, will it fit in or not?

The Founder's Edition is actually 267 mm, so it will fit with room to spare. The "front fan(s) mounted" is when you have chassis (case) fans installed in the front of your case as intake, since they're ~20mm in size the space for your GPU is lessened.

Onto your build

Overall with what I mentioned there's a couple things I would change as well

I don't know if you'll need more than 250 gigs of storage, you may want an HDD

EVGA G2 is better then the GS series

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the long reply. I took all the advice into consideration and came up with this build:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor €334.85 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler €39.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard €131.89 @ Mindfactory
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory €89.96 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €118.43 @ Mindfactory
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card €438.95 @ Mindfactory
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply €92.74 @ Mindfactory
Monitor Dell U2415 24.1" 60Hz Monitor -
Total €1316.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 02:57 CEST+0200

okay so I think this should work out but I still dont know if the 2 stock fans of the case create enough airflow to cool the pc...

Also do you think the GPU needs an additional cooling as I'm planning on overclocking?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks very good!

The 2 fans will likely need to run at a fairly high RPM, at about 3 you're at the point of diminishing return though, fans do help move the hot air away from the GPU, but you shouldn't worry too much they're very cool cards

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube