add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
BodaciousBuddha

38 months ago

I'm trying to understand the quality and prices between PC and consoles, and I've been running into a lot of conflicting information.

Which CPU and GPU would yield similar gameplay to a PS4? Something like a G4400 and 750 Ti?*

*(Presumably, it is difficult to beat the performance per $ of a PS4 if we're buying PC parts at retail prices, right?)

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You got the wrong thread, but since you posted... :)

It's not surprising to see high-end and low-end CPUs yielding very close framerates on low-end GPUs because the FPS is predominately constrained by the GPU. Hardwarecanucks has a great review on this.

The difference in results between the YT video and that website's review can most likely be explained by small differences in game settings like AA, by the different software for capturing framerates, and by the background processes.

In general, R7 360 kinda = 750 Ti, R7 370 slightly < 950.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hell yeah, mark! Nice post. I know the 7850 is very close to the 750 Ti, and since the 7870 is basically an overclocked 7850, it seems feasible to equate it to a 270.

But yeah, the PS4 is killing it at $300. And only factoring in the lower power consumption, it's roughly $50 cheaper per year than a similar gaming PC.

Also, aren't console games designed differently than the PC versions? I'd imagine they'd more efficiently use the PS4's architecture to maximize its yield (avg. FPS).

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow... didn't know about Sony selling below cost. Good strategy, if it panned out, but that just makes it soooo much harder to beat them. :)

Thanks for sharing that info.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube