add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Updated part list opinion

peterk7

38 months ago

Hi, After my last post I have updated the part list, and wanted to check your opinion again. Now with a cool white (with a little blue) looks :)

Fast essentials: 1. Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada 2. Budget: 2000 CAD (including shipping and taxes), 2300 with a monitor. Flexible. 3. Aim: Mostly gaming. High end is not a must but a comfortable graphics and ~ 60 fps seems about right on modern games. Lets say Skylines, Crysis 3, Witcher 3 ets ... want the max the budget can buy. 4. Monitors: So I have an old Dell monitor (21 I think), and until now was working with a laptop + monitor. As a programmer prefer at least 2 monitors, budged doesn't allow more :( 3. What I have: keyboard, mouse, speakers, 1TB External, and 21" monitor. 4. Overclocking: Is a question, probably not at first but prefer the possibility to do so in the future :)

As for the case, I will remove the HD mounts in the middle to fit the card. Chose it because of the white and its looks, was suggested also the Phanteks ECLIPSE P400. Suggestions about monitor or opinions also welcome :)

So here it is: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $44.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $129.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $87.68 @ NCIX US
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $84.80 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $434.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $87.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
Monitor ViewSonic XG2401 23.6" 144Hz Monitor $252.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1526.34
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1496.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 23:38 EDT-0400

Thank you, and have a great day :)

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The case is something very personal but I would go with the corsair 400C which is a better case and also very nice IMO.

I would DEFINITELY get a better motherboard (MSI Krait 3X or Asus Z170-A). The advantage of the MSI is that it has a black pcb and Asus a brown one.

Your PSU choice is excellent! :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $305.75 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ NCIX
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $186.98 @ DirectCanada
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $569.99 @ NCIX
Case Corsair Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case $104.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $108.98 @ DirectCanada
Monitor ViewSonic XG2401 23.6" 144Hz Monitor $334.99 @ PC Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2001.64
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1971.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 19:53 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your fast reply.

Case is something I will need to think about, if they have good airflow and mounting options then you are defiantly right about personal preference.

PSU, as you saw mark helped me with this one :)

As for moab, I am sorry but I fail to see the advantages of Z170A over the Z170-E. Some minor differences in slots and mounts, and colour, but not something I consider 60 CAD more. Both have 2-way SLI and option for overclocking. Can you help to explain your choice over the one I got?

Thank you again for the feedback, Im here to learn :)

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

As for moab, I am sorry but I fail to see the advantages of Z170A over the Z170-E.

fair enough

Some minor differences in slots and mounts, and colour, but not something I consider 60 CAD more.

Obviously the Z170-E is a cutout version of the Asus Z170A. And honestly for the amount of money you are investing in your build you should get something better which I'm sure will last you longer.

The E version

ASUS DIGI+ VRM - 4 Phase digital power design

The A version

ASUS DIGI+ VRM - 8 Phase digital power design

meaning the A version will definitely be a much better choice when it comes to overclocking. Check the VRM heatsinks. I wouldn't do high overclocks with the E version. Is up to you.....

The A version has better audio hardware among other things.

Thank you again for the feedback, Im here to learn :)

You're welcome and good luck! :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Learning every day. Now I understand why someone suggested me the Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S.

I am not sure I will be overclocking to this level of depth, but I do want a product the will last longer and be reliable. And I do need a better audio to fit my AudioTechnica Headphones :P Decisions decisions ...

As for the graphics card, by the way, I had a suggestion about a white 1070 one to go with the white build. But my main concern is the heat and noise. So will two fans be more noisy than what I chose (3 fans)? And what about the overheating?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The gpu you chose is fine.

Which white 1070?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well looking through the options: Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G EVGA SC GAMING EVGA ACX 3.0

Something like that, not that noticeable, but still. I think I actually prefer the ROG STRIX one because of the massive look. But was interested how the others preform.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube