add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming PC | Verifying my choices

yorkais123

38 months ago

Hello there! I am planning on building a new pc. Since it's my first build, i'd like to have your toughts about the parts. If something is overpriced and if I need to go with better pieces for certain parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (I'm not overclocking)

Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Storage: I already have a 120 GB SSD for my windows & 1T HDD for the rest

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB Gaming X Video Card

Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU: Corsair CX450M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case fans: 1x Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan (For the looks)

Total price: 801.58$ CA (621.00$ US)

My budget was around 900$ CA or 670$ US

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM (I'd like to know if it is necessary since i'm not overclocking)

It is not necessary to use an aftermarket CPU cooler as the i5 6500 already includes a sufficient stock cooler.

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Is it too high for no reason? Should I go with semi modular?)

It is not too much wattage for this build. A sweet spot for this PC would be 450+. Semi modular power supplies reduce the number of unused cables clogging up your build and makes it easier to cable manage. Having a look at your [detailed build] it is seen you have chosen the EVGA 500B. Although it has high reviews, it really is mediocre performance, especially for that price. If you save up a little bit more money you can get a more reliable, better built, better performance and semi modular PSU, the Corsair CX450M.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the quick reply! My budget was around that but I have a bit more money left. If I remove the cpu cooler what should I change with the money I get back?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

What country are you located in? Some parts are unavailable or low in stock in some countries, making it more expencive than normal.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Canada, Quebec

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Well you can save a lot on the motherboard unless you are set on the LEDs.

With the saved money you can get the better PSU as mention earlier and possible a GTX 1060/RX480 like this onehttps://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/RJyxFT/pny-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-video-card-vcggtx10606pb . The main consideration to take when choosing an Rx 480 8gb/ GTX 1060 6gb is to make sure it has atleast dual fans.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

With some research, I found out that the rx 480 is not that much better then the rx 470 for the higher cost (This could be wrong).

I have changed the PSU for the Corsair cxm450w and removed the CPU cooler.

For the motherboard part, I was looking for a nice looking black/red motherboard that could support the parts I chose. If you could recommend me a good board black and red (only black if there's none) it would be really apreciated.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This is the best I came up with after today's research http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/y6dw3F

I'm most likely going with this if the prices don't change

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

For the motherboard, can you guys recommend me some that could do the same job for cheaper but stay in the Black / Red theme or Black only.

(Just have to make sure everything fits on it)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Made some more research, found this http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/rLs8TW/msi-motherboard-h110mgaming , really nice reviews and look pretty good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube