add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

High Performance Build for 3D rendering and Video

MichaelHe

38 months ago

Hi there! My last build is dated back to ancient times, when we still used the AGP port for the videocard. ;D I've been investing quite a lot of time to get myself up to speed again, but your opinions on this would be very helpful to me.

My Build is primarily for video work and 3D rendering. That's pretty much all that matters. I might play the occasional game on it but that's only a bonus for me, as the machine will most likely run on linux anyways. (+ possible win boot drive) I use a lot of applications that can make use of multiple GPUs as well as multiple CPU cores. I plan to also include a low end video card for displaying purposes, so the two videocards can focus on rendering.

I am mostly satisfied with my build. A couple of concerns that I have are the following:

Spec-wise the RAM should work, but it's not on ASUS' official list. And I cannot find another kit of 64gb (4x16gb) 4channel ddr4 ram with ECC support. - The only other option is to go 128Gb but that's above 1000€ only for RAM. No way!

Also, I think my videocards are too long to use it with the drive bays in the case. So I'll have to move some of the harddrives (which are supposed to run as raid5) up into the 5.25" bays.

Another focus is silent operation as I'll spend most of the time sitting right next to it. Basically a lot of understatement here ;) Nothing to see, nothing to hear, but a lot of performance under the hood.

I know this is quite expensive stuff here, but this is going to be the main tool for my daily work and I'm making my living with it.

Alright... let me know what you think! Michael

My Build

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Very good, however for what you plan on doing an NVIDIA Quadro GPU might suit better as they are workstation-class GPU's generally with more v-ram

Also don't use the ARCTIC Silver Paste, it has bad heat dissipation, the paste that comes with the CPU cooler should be efficient enough for your needs ( probably better tha the Arctic silver paste ) and will save you a few dollars

Otherwise, It's all good :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks! Yeah, I know about those Quadro GPUs but they are just so damn expensive. It's nuts. I've seen some tests and afik they are only better (not faster) once you exceed the memory limit. I'd rather split my scenes into several render layers and then recombine them afterwards. In terms of performance/price the 1080 series seem to be pretty darn good.

I know I'm planning to spend quite a lot of money on this, but this is the limit and I'm trying to squeeze as much performance out of this as possible. (Basically what everybody is doing, I guess :) ) Reliable, fast and quiet.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes true, they cost allot, the 1080 SLI will do well and the xeon should help. But if you ever have an enormous budget, for this the Quadro or even Tesla will be perfect

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah! I wonder how many hours of renderfarm I can pay for a Quadro Card :D

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

But can you get 1 fps with minesweeper ultra

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

probably not in expert ;)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! You are right. That probably is the better option. Haha... I just checked if the video cards would fit in with the hdd cages in the bigger case. - Still 2mm too long.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yes! :) I'll probably go without the HDD cages - This should also improve airflow.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube