add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this build any good?

LukePurnell

38 months ago

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VW9Pf8

Hey everyone.

This is a PC build which I am considering making and would like you guys to give your opinions and suggestions.

What I need this PC for: Gaming: I'm hoping to run modern AAA games at the highest settings (or close to) at 1080p and around 60fps. General Use: Web browsing, watching YouTube, doing some work etc.

PC Requirements I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse so these will not be included in this build. However, I do need a copy of Windows 10 (preferably the retail edition so it's not locked to one motherboard. I also have a HDD that I can use for storage, so there is no need to buy another one (the one in the build currently, marked as purchased, is the one I currently have, and I'm perfectly happy with it). I also prefer Intel for processors and nVdia for graphics cards (just a personal preference thing, got nothing against AMD). I have no plans to overclock my processor.

Budget

£850 ideal pricepoint. However I would be willing to up this to £900 if I can see a good reason to.

PC Part Reasonings

• Processor (i5-6600) - For this I was initially gonna go for the i5-6500, but I found this processor to be noticeably more powerful for not too much more money. Not planning to overclock in the near future so I didn't see the need to invest in an unlocked processor.
  • Motherboard (Asus Z170-PRO) - Now, I know It may seem pointless to get a Z170 motherboard with an unlocked processor but... I really like this motherboard. It's got a really nice design and plenty of great features.
    -RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB) - Its ram. Its 16gb, so futureproof. It looks nice. It's cheap. Did I mention it's RAM?
  • Graphics Card (Palit GTX1060 6GB) - After a lot of research, I concluded that a graphics card in this kind of range would be best. I think I have decided on this. It has great DX11 performance and still pretty good performance at DX12. I decided on this model of the GTX1060 because it has two fans for better cooling and is the cheapest option. Though I have heard that the RX480 can rival it on the early DX12 (even edging it out in some cases) and vastly superior performance on Vulkan games), the DX11 perofrmance is quite lacking in comparison to the GTX1060. I believe that the GTX1060 is the better option, but I'm open to changing this to an RX480 (or another card alltogether) if there is a good reason to.
  • Case (Corsair 200R) - This one isn't final at all. It looks like a decent case but I bet there is one better for a similar price. If you can think of a better alternative, let me know.
  • PSU (Corsair CX550M 550W) - It's a PSU that won't explode (probably). It's modular which is a plus. And the wattage leaves plenty of headroom for overclocking, if I decide to do that in the future.

Pheew! This was a long post, but I wanted to let you guys know my wants for this build and reasons for the parts.

Thank you in advance for your response :)

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it's good so far and I also read about the purpose and your reasoning's. Another case option would be Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 for good cable management. It also looks lovely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor £199.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £129.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £75.69 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £0.00
Video Card Palit GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card £229.98 @ Ebuyer
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case £57.27 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £59.99
Other Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International £85.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £838.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 21:59 BST+0100
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That does look like a nice case. I'll check it out! Thank you for the suggestion and quick response :)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, I'm not too worried about the PSU. From what I've heard as long as your not buying the cheapest PSU you can find, you'll be fine (lol). Seriously though, I'll look into the PSU you suggested.

Also I think a HDD will be fine at least for now. I might add an SSD for the build at a later date, but tbh writing speeds and loading times don't really bother me too much. Unless they're absolutely insane; looking at you Witcher 3! (Played it on my Xbox).

As for the CPU, I didn't realise the performance difference was that small, but I think i still might go for it because of the relatively low price difference (as you said)

Thanks for your response.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, I'm not too worried about the PSU. From what I've heard as long as your not buying the cheapest PSU you can find, you'll be fine (lol). Seriously though, I'll look into the PSU you suggested.

I'm not worried about the CXM550w. "Exploding" is not the best way to describe a PSU's quality. Technically the chances of a popping PSU can happen to any good/great quality PSU and not just the low quality ones but they are less likely to occur. The CX series seems to be misunderstood of what the quality is. The CX430w/CXM450w and CX500/CX550w are considered good but yes as mark mentioned, there is something better.

However, the EVGA's 550w is a great quality PSU to have, plus it's Full-Modular which the wires are not permanent and possibly less wire clutter. You connect on what you need to power, of course this is certainly a need to have the ATX 24-pin & 8-pin for the MOBO and CPU to be powered.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I was only joking about the PSU. From what I understand, yes, as long as a PSU is from a reputable brand and the PSU has good reviews, they're most likely fine. I heard good things about the CX550M so I Iinititially chose that PSU. But yes, I will research the EVGA PSU that you've suggested.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not the one who suggested it. I was trying to clarify and defend the CX's quality is good but I also agree the EVGA G2 is another option by what mark was referring to. We can only offer our two cents and experiences. At the end of the day, this is your build so no worries.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Sorry, I meant the PSU that Mark suggested and that you also thought was a good option. Thanks for all your advice and computer case suggestion, it's really helpful :)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

(btw don't think I will need to power an SLI/Crossfire configuration any time soon and I don't believe the GTX 1060 even supports it. most games don't take full advantage of dual graphic cards anyway)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll seriously consider that PSU over the current one in my build. Seems like a higher quality piece of equipment to me and it also has the benefit of being fully modular. So for 10 bucks extra, It could very well be a good option for me.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It may seem overkill at the moment, but I want to futureproof this build, but thanks anyway for your suggestion! (btw not trying to start an argument with you. 8gb is fine for now but I believe for the future 16gb would be better, thats all)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh right, I get you now. I might just do that instead. Thanks for the idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube