add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Component advice needed

mannysalinas42

38 months ago

Recently I started accumulating parts to build my First Gaming PC. I have accumulated every part for a good deal besides the motherboard, cpu, and the cpu cooler. My friend recently upgraded his PC and offered me his FX-6350, MSI Gaming motherboard, and 2 x 4gbs of DDR3 for $145. I already have 8GBs and I could use the the other 8GB. The thing is I wanted to do a Skylake build because its upgrade path is really good, an i3 and a Z170-DDR3 motherboard costs about $215 altogether . Need some advice on what would be the best option (upgradability,and performance wise)

Part-list as of right now: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NpYtCy

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a DDR4 ad you don't need a Z170 board

Go skylake

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have the DDR3 sticks thougj :/ , DDR4 isn't really an option. I was looking at LGA1151 boards that support DDR3

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

8gb of DDR4 is like $30. Totally worth it

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

don't go ddr3 its a waste of money and limits you for upgrades down the line. definitely go ddr4 and go with skylake for sure.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have the DDR3, suppose I could always sell it off and pick up some DDR4 though

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

this is what i would recommend, only because there's been alot of issues with the ddr3 skylake motherboards in the past and in alot of cases you're limiting yourself by doing so as far as if you wanted to upgrade to ddr4 down the road.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks, gonna pick up an I3, b150 board and some DDR4 :D

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

if you are looking for best upgrade path i would try for a z170 board only because it'll allow you to upgrade to an unlocked cpu (if you'd like) it'll also allow you to use faster ddr4 memory should you ever want to. Alternatively the 2133 mhz ddr4 and locked cpus are still great and will get the job done.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I've decided to try and sell off the DDR3 and if nobody comes forward with an offer in a couple days, I'll gonna go the AMD route. Thanks for weighing out the pros and cons for me

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube