add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
linemen

38 months ago

Hi, I posted before, when my son built his own PC and the advice was great. We ended up buying a bigger power supply.

Now my son wants to build a PC for his dad.

This is the parts list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ks9Pf8

The compatibility check said: The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.

Is that important?

Also I am wondering about cooling. Wouldn't we need a cooling system?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention, that this PC is built first and foremost to play GTA with tons of mods.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

i5-6500 comes with a Stock CPU Cooler that does Okay..

That M.2 slot being used and taking out one Sata port is only important if you are trying to use ALL of your Sata Ports so don't worry about that..

Would recommend a Better Power Supply such as this one: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Again the power supply :)

Thank you for your advice.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Just noticed, your suggestion is $10 more expensive, but comes with a $20 mail in rebate. Another bonus.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The compatibility check said: The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.

It means that you will not be able to use one of the 6 Sata 6gb ports which means you still have 5 Sata 6gb ports. This is no concern unless you plan on adding more than 5 HDDs and 2.5" SSDs to your build in the future.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

We won't be planning on that. Thanks :)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I will forward the list to my son and see how he likes it.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube